Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with a leak

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I am having in my basement. I just bought my house in August and just a week ago we have found water coming though the basement through a hair line crack after a rain big rain. We had a plumber come look and he thinks it has to do with the drain tile under the basement. Now he wants to charge 650 to jet the pipe and to use a camera to look at the pipe. Now I am wondering 2 things. One is it really going to caust that much to do that and for 2 do you think that is it that is causing the leak. Now we have no cracks in the walls so the foundation looks great. Now we have noticed a kind of dirt in one of our toilets but not the other and not the sinks I was wondering if that has anything to do with that. Any help would be great. Thanks, Jen

SmallRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

Need help with a leak

I wonder what type of drain line you have running under the basement. Is it a sewer line, or a floor drain? First question I would have is whether or not there is water in the line, I am having trouble picturing an exterior drain line running under the basement.

As for the cost, well I don't really understand your question. If the plumber plans to charge you $650, that is what it will cost, unless of course you solicit another bid. If you are asking if it is worth it, that is a totally different question. As for viewing the drain line with a camera, that sounds like a reasonable plan, to see if it is blocked.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote