DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need Help for an Idea to fix a Sewage Clogging Problem

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I would love some help in designing a filter to help prevent sewage clogs in my pipe leading to the main line.

I live in a house on a college campus that is over 100 years old. Our sewage line constantly (averaging around twice every three weeks) clogs during the home stretch before the mainline. I always have to feed a spinning pipe cleaner (similar to this) to unclog it.

95% of of the clogs are due to girls flushing tampons. That's a problem we have tried really hard to prevent but it can't be prevented.

There is large access point right before the stretch that always clogs where i think i could put something in front of the pipe leading off towards the main line that collects tampons before they enter. This way I only have to take care of the filter rather than unclogging the pipe, and so the boiler room doesn't flood with sewage every time there is a clog.

I'm not sure how to go about engineering such a filter as I am pretty inexperienced with plumbing, but I know it can be done.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about how to implement this filter or if you can think of a good way to design this filter, or have an idea for a permanent solution, please let me know!

Additional info:
  • Home stretch pipe is about 3" in diameter
  • Tampons usually float
  • There is an access point at the intersection of the home stretch and main line
  • The access point before the home stretch is about 2'x5' with about a 3' depth
  • The home stretch is pretty much straight as far as I can tell, and has a very small downward slope.

See less See more
#4 ·
Have the Girls or young ladies do the cleaning of the line when it becomes blocked.
A few times of cleaning up a mess that they have made will most likely get them to stop the flushing of items that have no business going down the drain.

There could be a pit made with a slopping screen to trap some things while letting water by but I would have no idea as to the cost of some thing like that.

#5 ·
We had this problem a couple times in one of our rentals. cleaned the line out one time and had a buddy send a camera down it. Nothing realy bad but a couple suspect joints that the rags would hang on and start the backup. We told the girls that next time we had to come out and rod the line we would charge $5.00 per item removed. Never had to clean the line again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.