Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

Share |
Wink

Need help in flange extender for a new tile floor

Now the question are: (see photo attachments):
)
How and what flange extender in the market will I be able to attach or secure to this flange and able to get the top of new flange to be above my finish(tile) floor. Since this was flush with my old vnyl floor(3/8")floor and new finish tile (1/4"cement bd,1/4"pre-mix cement motar on both side of cement board and then 1/4"ceramic tile)= 1"-3/8"=5/8", that mean I will need at least anothe 3/4" above the current flange height to raise a little over the finish floor, correct? Do not want to break the CI flange.
Provide photo would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help in  flange extender for a new tile floor-toilet-flangebb-003.jpg   Need help in  flange extender for a new tile floor-toilet-flangebb-002.jpg   Need help in  flange extender for a new tile floor-toilet-flangebb-001.jpg  

eyeglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #2

first question is why wouldnt you want to change the existing flange?

raven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #3

If your messing with just 5/8" you could probably go to a plumbing supply house and purchase either a deep wax ring or 1/4" spacers that will fit, but i think the best way would be to cut the pipe below the floor which by the looks of it is by cutting your subfloor planks to gain access. If you have access to underneath you could go ahead and install tile backer and tile and later drop and connect the pipe with a fernco. (A fernco is a rubber band with a clamp that works awsome to connect pipes together). By doing this you could also transition the existing steel pipe and flange to either ABS or PVC pipe with a plastic flange. Your choice!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Raven21 thanks for the reply. I 'm not a plumber or have all the tool. Secondly, why would I want to create a larger job than necessary. Its' seem like all I need to do is secure a extender of source to it and will be able to raise the flange to the level above the new tile floor. There must be a extender out there where I could attach to this flange and yet able to seal any leak and achieve the result. Can I drill into a cast iron and screw on top a new flange extender that the question and produce a leakage proof.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
(the original)

www.set-rite.com
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #6

ratherbefishing has an awsome solution! before you buy this product online, check your local plumbing supply, they may have it in stock or something similar...I agree why make more work, but sometimes easier is not necessarily better...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #7

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven27 View Post
ratherbefishing has an awsome solution! before you buy this product online, check your local plumbing supply, they may have it in stock or something similar...I agree why make more work, but sometimes easier is not necessarily better...

Thx for the replies: Raven27/ratherbefishing:
As you notice, no screws or holes on that flange. Can I get a ci or metal ring of some source that can be attach to the floor over the existing flange, a(recommend) w/spacer and new flange total to 5/8"above the existing flange?(tile floor=1' above subfloor.) (2) Will the ring,spacer and new flange possible cause any leak? After that put in the wax seal with a horn.