Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Need help. 1 shower faucet for 2 shower heads?

So I'm building a walk in shower and I have 2 rainshower heads that I'm going to have on the ceiling. My question is that will any normal shower only faucet work with both showerheads attached to it? I have done some reading and I know that in the ceiling I will make basically a circle with the pipes and have 2 exits where I run each showerhead from. but I can't find out if a standard shower faucet will be sufficient to run both heads. Thanks for your help!!

Downshift93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #2

I think you'd be alright, but have never installed this type of set-up. Anyone else?

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #3

It depends on your shower heads. If you are talking about some of the dinner plate sized shower heads then you really need the pressure regulation provided by the more expensive controls. Especially if your supply is only standard 1/2" line.

Yes it "can" be run as you are describing it, but you will probably end up being disappointed in it's operation.

A good rule of thumb to use is price matching. IE if you spent $500 each for the shower heads, you need to spend $500 + on the control.
HalfHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

Does anyone else have any advise? Ive noticed one thing, my 2 shower heads are rated for 2.5 GPM max, and so far the shower valves that I've looked at say they are rated for 2.5 GPM max. Are there higher rated valves that let more water through or should I be fine just using the standard 2.5 gallons split up between 2 shower heads?
Downshift93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
DIY staff

You will need a high volume valve---Check out Grohe (sp) Bring a full wallet.

3/4" feed lines will be needed.

A poor mans double headed shower usually uses two separate standard mixer valves fed off a 3/4" main feed.

The 3 way switching valve needed for a retro fit double shower costs more than a mixer valve.