Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included

Hi guys, as you may know from a previous post of mine, I am trying to fit a new tub to my old tub's plumbing. I recently used a hammer drill and took out the concrete patch that was surrounding my old drain and overflow assembly (the previous worker/homeowner poured cement around the drain and overflow) and so now the plumbing is accessible as you can see from the photos since I have broken away the cement. Here is what it looked like before I broke away the cement patch:

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...l-img_0982.jpg

And at the bottom of the post is what it looks like now that the patch is gone.

I need to fit the old plumbing to my new tub, but it will not fit unless I adjust it slightly. Meaning, the drain and overflow will have to be pushed about 3/4 inch away from their natural settling point (towards the P trap). There is some "give" to the the old plumbing that would make the old drain fit my new tub shoe, but I fear that it is being pushed too much against its natural alignment when I do try to make it fit... and so it may be better to readjust the plumbing in a more "proper" fashion. Once again, it will have to be pushed about 3/4 inch against its natural settling point. In addition, I had sawed off the overflow since it was too tall for my current tub. That way, I could always couple it later.

I have a few questions regarding my plumbing issues. But the bottom line is I don't have a clue about what to do to properly fit my new tub to the old plumbing. I don't know if I need to buy a new drain and overflow, or if I should just "push" the old drain and overflow against their natural alignment to fit my new tub.

So... what would you personally do? If you say I should buy a new drain and overflow, that is fine, but I would still have to get it to line up properly with my new tub and I don't know how one can adjust pvc pipes to fit my specifications since I'm new to plumbing. And to be honest, I don't know where to make the cut in my old pvc to attach the new drain and overflow, or if I even have to cut my old PVC.

I think you can tell I have little knowledge of how to do this. I am on a budget and would prefer to do this myself. And I honestly really enjoy learning how to work on my home.

Thanks a bunch! Pictures are attached below
Attached Thumbnails
Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included-img_1082.jpg   Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included-img_1097.jpg   Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included-img_1098.jpg   Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included-img_1104.jpg   Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included-img_1113.jpg  

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #2

Well you are going to have to buy all new drain, overflow and trap piping.
What is there is glued together, and if it doesn't fit the new tub, all you can do
is cut it out and replace it.

The trap is at the bottom. The U shape piece with the 90 coming out. Go past the 90 a few inches (if there's room) and cut .

Set the tub in place and rebuild the piping just like it is, only to fit new tub.
It won't necessarily be easy. You might have to break out more concrete.

Or you could probably set tub in place, and very carefully and accurately measure / mark
where drain is , then move tub and build piping. But it's got to be pretty right on.

jammin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jammin06 For This Useful Post:
amodoko (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #3

Thanks a bunch for the reply, I appreciate it. So I guess I will go buy a new drain and overflow, as well as a p trap. But I wanted to make sure about something, you see in my photo below I have labeled two points... 1 and 2. Did you mean I should cut at point 1? Or point 2? I'm assuming point 1 but wanted to make sure.

In addition, when people say to try to get my pvc to fit the tub correctly, I'm assuming I may have to buy more attachments than just a trap, drain, and overflow right? Meaning I will have to buy extra attachments besides the drain, overflow, and p trap so that the pvc can navigate in weird ways to reach the drain hole (tub shoe) and overflow hole in the tub properly?

And I'm assuming any pvc primer and glue from Lowes should work to make a water tight seal?
Attached Thumbnails
Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included-img_1097.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

jammin06 is right on the procedure. Cut at point #1. Give a little room for a coupling too if needed.
Another approach would be to offset existing tailpiece above the trap and below the waste tee. Perhaps a couple of 22 elbows. (may work- may not)
Assemble the waste & overflow on the tub before setting, roll it into position and check for alignment. Now you can tell if the trap needs to move or if you can offset the tailpiece. All the W&O parts should be in the box. You will also need to buy parts for the work in the hole. Normal glue and primer will work. Avoid hot glue- it has a fast set time, not good for your particular project.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
amodoko (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Hey, thanks Eplumber! I appreciate the response. I will first try to use the 22 elbow method to see if I can offset the new Waste and overflow without adjusting the trap. If I can not set it without adjusting the trap, then I will of course cut at point 1 and install a new trap.

Here is the primer I want to buy:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23781-138-30...oz.&facetInfo=

And here is the cement I want to buy:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23467-138-31...oz.&facetInfo=

Please let me know if there is an issue with me buying these primers or cement. Thanks again, you guys are very kind.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

Your welcome
Glue and primmer choices are good. You're in for a bit of a challenge. Take your time, Measure twice and cut once

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
amodoko (12-11-2011)