Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #1

Share |

in need of emergency advice.......

i was using a brillo pad(fine steel wool)to clean dried paint off of all the porcelain. when i let the water out the sink, i forgot the worn brillo pad was still in the water and it got suck in. the brillo pad was very worn till it was thin, flimsy, and breaking into pieces but it still cause a clog. when water is ran in the bathroom AND kitchen sinks, it comes up in the tub. i think the pipe is pvc, there's water sitting in the tub right now, and i don't wanna call the landlord because he fixed a clog less than a month ago in the same place and plus the guy who do the work for the landlord doesn't do good work. what should i do

bkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Try a Plunger...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

many times they do not clear all the clog when they clear a pipe. Say nothing to your landlord and have them to send the guy back to do it right this time.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
the Musigician

The Zip-It Drain Cleaner by Cobra is fashioned from a thin piece of flexible plastic with jagged edges, for 2 bucks at Lowes, it might be worth a shot.

DM
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

Have you tried a small hand cranked snake?

Hint: Extend only a few inches of snake from the round housing at a time, since a long length between the housing and the drain will kink as you crank the housing.

Hint: If there is a cleanout plug in the bottom of a sink trap, it is usually easier to introduce the snake there.

Hint: In this specific instance, two of the three places: kitchen sink drain, bathroom sink drain, and bathtub drain, need to be stuffed with wet rags before the plunger will work in the third place. Actually there are more places that need stuffing because each of the three first mentioned may be accompanied by a safety overflow that also needs to be stuffed. And still you will need luck. The clog is so far down leaving a large volume of air in the pipe between the drain and the clog; there may be still more fixtures draining into the pipe before the clog too, such that that air pressure changes effected by the plunger are diluted and less effective.

For those eavesdropping, steel wool is bad for porcelain and worse for plastic/fiberglass sinks and tubs.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-01-2009 at 07:32 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote