Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Need definitional help

We just bought a new home which is being built. 1st for new construction.
Builder told me (the wife) he needed the "rough cuts" for plumbing. What did he mean? He keeps changing the definition and I want to understand the term of art. He has used the term in reference to plumbing.
Thank you. Roughhelper

roughhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Need definitional help

I've never heard of the term "rough cuts" before.

I'd ask him exactly wtf he means by "rough cuts".

There are "rough in" dimensions that are standard. For example, the standard distance from the middle of a toilet floor flange to the finished wall (? or is it the stud face) is 12 inches.

There's no disgrace in asking what he means by that term cuz it's only meaning is the literal one: making rough cut holes or slots in lumber to fit pipes through.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Need definitional help

Nestor,

That is what I thought. This morning's email from the builder included this in part:

I PHYSICALLY NEED the ROUGH IN VALVES for the shower not the trim
kit ( the pretty stuff on the front of tile after the tile gets installed )

Now, am I confused? I did ask (I always ask when I do not understand something) and was told that "roughs" means "just get me your selections". He did not say it means order the stuff and get it in. Just > pick it out so he knew what we were going to put in.
Please help - I really do want to understand, but it seems to me that the builder is trying to make something my "fault" that may not be.
Thanks.
roughhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Need definitional help

I've been in the business a long time, and I've never heard that term.

The builder needs the shower mixing valves so he can install them into the supply piping system in the wall. This must be done before the plumbing can be completed and the walls can be finished. The trim that you'll see goes on later, but comes with whatever valves you choose.

That being said, if the builder is building the house for you, you should only be responsible for making fixture selections. You should never be responsible for the procurement of materials unless it was pre-arranged that way when you contracted with him. If he's reliant on you to actually supply basic items on the job, there's a real problem and you need to re-visit your contract responsibilites with him.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Need definitional help

I agree with KC. I am in the business of installing plumbing in new homes and I can tell you that, as a plumber, I always want to supply all of the plumbing materials. That way I know what I am dealing with and can be comfortable warranting the system. If you do not have an arrangement to furnish plumbing materials, then it would not hurt to attempt to clarify this.

Also, if the builder is being too difficult at this stage, it might be a red flag. Most home builders in today's market are bending over backwards to make sure their customer's are happy.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote