DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need a cheap fix to slow bathtub drain

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jmon 
#1 ·
I have a bathtub put in in the 70's it has one of those twist levers that activates the stopper. The water drains but very slowly. I have tried chemicals and even a snake. When I insert the snake in the drain it only goes in a few inches. The best I can figure is whatever type of stopper is blocking the drain slowing the drain. I removed the twist lever for the overflow and the bar was not attached to anything. If I am making any sense or you know how I can fix this preferably without removing the tub.

#2 ·
The way to clean a tub drain is to remove the over flow cover and snake the drain through that opening.

The over flow opening goes straight down to the P-trap.

Also--the easiest way to remove hair from the drain is with one of those 'Drain Claw' type of things.

They look like a heavy nylon zip tie with barbs cut into the outside edges. Usually find them as an impulse item at the check out counter of Menards or a home store.---Mike--

#3 ·
thanks

thank you for your help, I tried snaking throught the overflow. It went in pretty far then was really hard to push and I couldnt get it to go in any further. When I pulled it out it got stuck on something I think the drain plug. Do you think hair is the problem or is it the drain plug system not working?

#4 ·
You said something about a twist lever----is that on the overflow cover?

If so, when you took off the cover a long brass rod(heavy wire) should have come out with the cover.

The brass rod has a 'piston' attached to it. If that is still stuck in the overflow tube--you will need to fish out the broken parts.--A coat hanger wire with a hooked end sometimes works.

Google tub drain sets. or better yet go to a store and actually look at the drain sets and the parts so you know what you are trying to fix.
----Mike----

#5 ·
cheapest and easiest fix I can think of:

anything else involves more labor and doing it somewhat right.

what is on the other side of the wall of the end of the tub with the drain? Would it be easier to repair that than removing the tub?

#7 ·
http://www.diy-plumbing-and-drain.com/bathtub-drain.html
best pic I could find.. yes you should be able to pull up the linkage if in fact its there. I've seen ones that have a cotter pin holding it,, if that breaks off, linkage will stay there. I'd try fishing with a piece of wire as someone suggested. If you are lucky enough to have a "friend" who has a "sea snake" camera, you could really see in there. Its probably too tight to look with a mirror and flashlight. A little patience and time, you can work it out of there. good luck, let us know how its going.

#8 ·
The other option is to go below and cut it apart so that you can access the piece inside of the pipe, but if you don't even know if it's there that's probably not a good option. Not to mention your house being built in 70's probably has a lot of galvanized drains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.