Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #1

Share |

need assistance with shower drain

Hi,

Total noob here, so try not to give me too much of a lashing. I just ripped out my shower because it was old and the pan was leaking into the kitchen downstairs. I bought a replacement pan, and it looks like the drain matches up, so I "shouldn't" need to reroute any piping (thank god). I plan removing and replacing the subfloor this weekend, but had a question about the drain. In looking at the picture attached, how do I go about removing/changing out the drain? What is the procedure? Does this somehow twist off, or do I cut the pipe and use PVC to make the new connection from the drain to the pipe?

I've laid my share of pipe (ok, very bad joke) so I'm familiar with rerunning and sweating pipe, but this is my first experience with changing out a showe.

All input is welcomed...

Thanks in advance,

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails
need assistance with shower drain-dsc_2665.jpg  

newbiemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

First step is understanding the entire process of building a conventional shower pan, see for example: http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #3

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the website with great tips. I actually purchased a pan, so I won't be creating the mortar bed, but think I will perform those steps exactly for our guest bathroom.

Does anyone have ideas on what I do regarding the pic I attached?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Typically you replace the drain, choosing a type intended to mate to the the existing drain plumbing, for example:

http://www.oatey.com/shower_drains/l...n_Brochure.pdf,

installation instructions for each type are available on the manufactures' sites.

Obviously, installation is easier if you have access to the underside of the pan.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-02-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #5

Thanks Michael. Again, another great site. I'll have access to the underneath side since due to the leak into the kitchen.

When replacing the old drain, what is the typical process for removal? Is it the norm to chop the pipe and then pvc, gasket, etc. to the new drain in the pan? Or is the old drain removable with a monkey wrench?

Thanks again,

Mike