Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

need advice on replacing closet flange

im redoing my master bath, including new ceramic tile on slab foundation. so i remove toilet to begin removal of old floor tile and 1" mortar bed. drain pipe is cast iron and cast iron flange is rusted through. the top of new tile will be appox 1" lower than old tile, so i remove cast iron flange and trim cast iron drain pipe and install the new tile. topr of pipe is even with top of new tile.

however, my slab has a 6" deep, 7" diameter hole in it around the 4" diameter drain pipe. as such, there is approx 1.5" of void space between the slab and the outside of the drain pipe. i want to replace the cast iron flange with a pvc flange. the problem is, if i use a pvc twist-n-set ( or similar) flange into the drain pipe, there is nothing to secure it to.

so, how should i proceed? should i fill the void with something to bolt the pvc flange to, or is my only option to have a cast iron flange installed?

gps4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Posting a picture is always nice.
Your there where not.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

heres a pic of the pipe. im thinking my only two options to secure the flange to keep the pipe from moving or the toilet from shifting under the weight of the user is to either use a lead caulked cast iron flange or fill the void with concrete/mortar/vinyl cement patch and glue the flange down to that. any other thoughts?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #4

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...86C015&first=1

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=toilet+flange
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

@joe- my question is what the best way to fasten a replacement flange down, if there is nothing to bolt it to. should i fill the void around the pipe, or just have a cast iron flange installed?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

I would mix a soupy mix if hydrolic cement and forse it down the void with a dowel and trowl off the top area for a smooth finish.
Hydrolic cement sets up super fast and expands to lock it's self in place.
Once it sets up it can be drilled for Tap-Con screws.

I also would never just use an all PVC flange, they tend to snap off where the bolts go in. Use one with a metal ring, stainless steel is best.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

finally finished my project.... decided to fill the void between the soil pipe and slab with mortar. that gave me something to anchor the replacement pvc closet flange to. i used tapcon crews, as well as a few spots of construction adhesive, to secure the closet flange to the floor. i've always been aprehensive about replacing the toilet myself, but i learned alot and so far, no leaks.