Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need Advice on Laundry Water Box Location

Hello Everyone. This is my first post so please forgive me if I've left out any information or am not doing something appropriately.

Our home was built in 2010. We did not pick any options so we are trying to make it our own. This is also our first major (in my opinion) home modification.

Originally the laundry room had a MDF shelf (you can see the white paint on the wall where the MDF was located. We removed it without damaging the drywalls. We bought cabinets from Lowes for our laundry room. We purchased two base cabinets. One is a sink base 36" in height and width. The other one has the same measurements.

On the right wall (see image) we are going to stack the washer and dryer. To the left of the washer and dryer will be the sink base cabinet. We also a sink installed.

Yesterday we did a dry fit and ran into two problems we can't wrap our brains around. The first is the laundry water box is in the middle of the wall (see image) and it is 46 inches from the ground. I saw a video on YouTube that showed the laundry water box being moved lower to the ground for smooth counter installation. I would rather not do this but I don't know if this is our only option.

Our goal is to have an "L" shaped counter beginning at the left wall ending where the w&d stack. This water box doesn't make it possible.

We have also thought about placing the w&d stack in front of this box to cover it. This would eliminate the "L" shape counter design. Unfortunately, this is not possible because the sink base cabinet width is 36 inches. If we swap the location of the w&d stack with the sink base cabinet this box will still show and not all for a counter.

We've also thought about making the base cabinets taller but a counter starting at 47" would not be ideal for the next owners if we sell this home.

The second problem is the electrical outlet. We need to move this up higher. (I understand this section is plumbing. I just wanted to give all details.)

So, I'm in a quandary. I'd rather not move the box down but I don't see any other option. Also, I don't know where it should go so it will still be accessible. We do have a water shut off valve in the garage. The garage is directly beside the laundry room. We also need a sink installed.

My questions are:
  • What do you recommend?
  • If the last resort is moving this box, where do you recommend moving it?
  • If we have to move it, how much do you think this would cost if we contracted it out or is this something we can do with step by step instructions?
  • If it is moved, how important is it for these valves to be easily accessible? When you see laundry room redesigns in pictures online, I never see this box. Everything is well hidden it seems in cabinetry.
Feedback is greatly appreciated. Right now we are lost and need some type of direction and ideas.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advice on Laundry Water Box Location-box.jpg   Need Advice on Laundry Water Box Location-wall.jpg   Need Advice on Laundry Water Box Location-cabinets.jpg   Need Advice on Laundry Water Box Location-right-wall.jpg  
txnbink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laundry room, plumbing, water box