Need To Add Shower To Existing Bathtub - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to add shower to existing bathtub

Hi! I have an existing spa tub and half (partial) wall integrated on the plumbing end. The tub and current surround is faux marble. Although this finish is outdated, it is in great shape and is so easy to keep clean.

I have a 3-yo who I would soon like a shower for. I could also really use a shower here for the rare adult houseguest.

My challenges: Money-extremely limited. I have enough 12x12 tiles (that match the new floor tiles) to add the necessary few feet of surround Above the existing faux marble surround. For the sake of this forum, let's assume keeping the partial, existing backsplash is necessary. The other caveat with the existing marble backsplash is that it wraps around most of the bathroom, and removing it from the shower area only would create a really ugly edge wherever you stopped removing it. I am simply not prepares to rip it out of the entire bathroom right now.

I could use some ideas on adding the shower plumbing without destroying the partial/half wall. I imagine if I remove (possibly with heat, etc) the top 'cap' of marble on the half wall there is a 2x4 frame piece under it, meaning I would have to somehow remove that top piece of framing to even see/ assess adding new plumbing.

I have very briefly considered the exterior add on shower plumbing via a new faucet; I would still need to extend the height of the current backsplash to avoid my 3yo (and adult over 4' tall :-) ) from spraying the wall papered (and then painted...) Sheetrock walls!! On the long wall and non-plumbing short wall- how could I add the tile/protection without the typical layers below the tile?? Adding even one layer of Hardibacker (example only) and tile would make this new backsplash much thicker (thus sort of 'hanging over' the existing marble backsplash). I also understand that slapping the tile directly onto the wall papered wall is not a great idea!

In adding the exterior faucet plumbing/ shower, I would still have to extend the partial wall upward before adding tile (and finished Sheetrock on the toilet side). Even if I canpull the top marble 'cap' piece safely off the partial wall, I have no great idea of how to properly add another couple/few feet of framing to the top. Conversely, if I were able to securely frame in this top section of the partial wall, it would be the easiest to properly tile as I could frame it thinner in order to leave space for concrete board, green board, Hardi, yadda...!!

I would love to hear your suggestions!! ps when you see the pics, try to resist the urge to tell me to rip out the whole bathroom and start over! :-)

Teresa
Attached Images

Advertisement

Tmack_5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,388

Remove the marble cap from the half wall with the plumbing. Frame on top of that all the way to the ceiling. Cut an access panel behind the valve body. If you are lucky you may find that it is a shower valve with the top port capped. If not you will have to change the valve.

If it is a capped shower valve, extend up to a shower head and change the existing tub spout to a diverter spout.

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

To cut an access hole/ panel to the shower valve, I would have to go through the marble panel, which I would rather avoid. What are the chances the existing hole behind the temperature valve/knob and spout are large enough to change the valve if necessary?

On the new framing on the plumbing wall, I suppose I just drill a large (1" or so) hole vertically through the existing top 2x4 and the new 2x4 in order to install the vertical pipe to the shower head?

Thanks!!
Tmack_5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,388

I think you need the access panel. The other option is to remove the existing tub spout and install a hand shower. See link.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Last edited by rjniles; 04-04-2011 at 05:34 PM.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,222

I think the access hole is a code requirement, but not sure. In any case, there's no existing hole large enough to get a faucet out and put a new one in.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote