Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

Navien 240a

We had our plumber install a tankless water heater navien 240a 4 years ago and now we experencing random periods of cold water sometimes lasting hours. Our plumber said he could not fix it unless he caught it not working.

Last edited by trish paris; 05-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
trish paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

Navien 240a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish paris View Post
We had our plumber install a tankless water heater navien 240a 4 years ago and now we experencing random periods of cold water sometimes lasting hours. Our plumber said he could not fix it unless he caught it not working.
Clean the air filter and inspect the exhaust and intake lines for obstructions. May need to clean out line if leaves or critters have been sucked in or made nests.

When no hot water is happening look at the controller for error codes and take a picture of it if you see one.

Next make sure the gas pipe is minimum of 3/4" all the way to meter.

Open the cover and make sure there are no signs of leaks.

On the a models there is a recirculation pump and on the top of that pump is a black plastic air purge valve which tends to get clogged with minerals and should be taken off and flushed after you do the yearly system flush.

QueBall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #3

Navien 240a

10 bucks says it is the flow sensor in the unit. They are famous for being a royal pain in the ___ I have Navien cr201A-na Every time I do not have hot water (quite often) it is the flow sensor is stuck. Navien says it is because of our water but that is BS. We have had issue after issue with ours from leaking in the attic because of a defective elbow to a recall that Navien America refuses to pay the full labor to install. I am starting the search to get a dependable unit and replace the Navien unit after only 4 years. Worse 2000 dollars I ever spent.
Ken Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #4

Navien 240a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Swenson View Post
10 bucks says it is the flow sensor in the unit. They are famous for being a royal pain in the ___ I have Navien cr201A-na Every time I do not have hot water (quite often) it is the flow sensor is stuck. Navien says it is because of our water but that is BS. We have had issue after issue with ours from leaking in the attic because of a defective elbow to a recall that Navien America refuses to pay the full labor to install. I am starting the search to get a dependable unit and replace the Navien unit after only 4 years. Worse 2000 dollars I ever spent.
The CR series was an earlier model. I have seen many posts of people having problems with those units. They should be covering the parts under warranty. Labour seems to be covered for 1 year. But this is a DIY website so in the context of this forum why wouldn't you be fixing it yourself? Though I would agree with your sentiment that they should be covering the cost of labour in the case of a design defect. It's a crappy move on the part of navien and they should be supporting their product and building their reputation.

I believe the OP and myself both have the newer NR series. The specific problems you have with the older model would not be related to the newer design. Maybe the OP will come back to respond and claim your $10.

The NR series has it's own quirks from what I can tell
#1 -Highly sensitive to gas pressure problems. Many complaints usually boil down to inadequate gas supply. These units want a 3/4" line direct to the meter and the meter sometimes needs upgrading if it's restricting flow too.
#2 - Air pressure on intake and exhaust can easily be a problem. This time of year my unit needs it's air intake screen cleaned frequently due to the poplar tree "fluff" in the air it's sucking in. My screen last week was full of fluff and mosquitoes triggering an error 10 condition.
#3 - The recirculation pump on A models has an air valve on top that needs periodic (yearly) cleaning/descaling which isn't mentioned in the manuals. It's a bit hard to remove unless you have small hands.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Navien 240a

Navien tells you the second you work on the unit it voids the warranty unless it is to their benefit. They also will not send me an updated board and flow sensor. I have tried. I have a 1" Gas line to the unit the gas line coming into my house is commercial size along with the meter as we have three gas fireplaces, gas furnance and gas cook top. The home is 3927 sq foot. That was the first excuse Navien tech stated. "Well sound like you do not have an large enough gas line". Tell I told him it is 1.5" coming into the house and 1" to the unit. Then the next excuse was Poor water quality. Shot that down as well. I have had three different plumbers out. first said they quit handling or selling any Navien stuff because of their poor construction. The second one told me he has a grave yard of Navien on demand heaters. So to answer your question if I could get the parts I would fix it my self. I am currently researching a different brand and going to throw away the 2 grand I spent on this junk and find a replacement unit that I am not up in the attic diking with every other week.
I am getting real tired of waking up in the morning with no hot water. Then having to go to the garage get the ladder carry it up stairs and go into the attic to make the flow sensor work again. You know what it is like having to climb into an attic in your underwear at 5:30 am so you can have a hot shower? "believe me not a pretty picture" The worse part is the total lack of customer service from Navien when they know they sold a defective unit. I do not believe the unit is safe. Navien would rather give you excuses then fix the unit so it works properly. I Just place a call to my attorney today. I don't think they should get away with selling people known defective units and not take care of the issue then threaten them that they will void the warranty if the home owner trys to fix the unit.
Ken Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #6

Navien 240a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Swenson View Post
Navien tells you the second you work on the unit it voids the warranty unless it is to their benefit. They also will not send me an updated board and flow sensor. I have tried. I have a 1" Gas line to the unit the gas line coming into my house is commercial size along with the meter as we have three gas fireplaces, gas furnance and gas cook top. The home is 3927 sq foot. That was the first excuse Navien tech stated. "Well sound like you do not have an large enough gas line". Tell I told him it is 1.5" coming into the house and 1" to the unit. Then the next excuse was Poor water quality. Shot that down as well. I have had three different plumbers out. first said they quit handling or selling any Navien stuff because of their poor construction. The second one told me he has a grave yard of Navien on demand heaters. So to answer your question if I could get the parts I would fix it my self. I am currently researching a different brand and going to throw away the 2 grand I spent on this junk and find a replacement unit that I am not up in the attic diking with every other week.
I am getting real tired of waking up in the morning with no hot water. Then having to go to the garage get the ladder carry it up stairs and go into the attic to make the flow sensor work again. You know what it is like having to climb into an attic in your underwear at 5:30 am so you can have a hot shower? "believe me not a pretty picture" The worse part is the total lack of customer service from Navien when they know they sold a defective unit. I do not believe the unit is safe. Navien would rather give you excuses then fix the unit so it works properly. I Just place a call to my attorney today. I don't think they should get away with selling people known defective units and not take care of the issue then threaten them that they will void the warranty if the home owner trys to fix the unit.
Yeah that sucks. They should back their product up with better support. There is no doubt that the company has complaints about the level of customer support they provide. Talking to lawyers is almost always a nobody wins situation. Even though it sucks I would suggest you find another way to contact Navien. Find a plumber who has access to the factory reps and have them bring out the local guy.

In terms of the actual hardware though, the CR series is not comparable to the newer NR series of heaters. Different products.