Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nature, Cause And Fixing Plumbing Problems

Last fall, an apartment in my building was flooded and caused water damage by leaking to the floor below and damaging the electrical system.

Immediately after, there was a sound resembling running water behind the apartment walls and adjacent areas.
During Hurricane Sandy, the first floor of our building and the parking garage were flooded, wrecking the cars and causing oil and gas to seep in. (I live in East Rockaway, in New York's Long Island, and we've never experienced anything like this before Sandy.)

Soon after, when the temperature dropped,the fire department had to called almost every night, especially after dark.There have also been leaky ceilings.

Around late January , there was an explosion. Lately, the fire department has responded, more often, and in the daytime(sometimes accompanied by the emergency helicopter).The was mold from another leaky ceiling, but that was cleaned up;however just after, I heard the super say, "We'll have to get an electrician".The situation has grown more serious, with sounds that resemble explosions, accompanied by a smoke-like smell that can be detected 1.05 miles away and what appears to be steam coming from under the lawns,heat in the building, more leaky ceilings, and smells resembling fruit and chlorine.

On Friday night,February 15 about 7:00 Eastern Standard Time, in the apartment that had originally been flooded, the bathroom was regutted and new fixtures, including the toilet put in. The toilet water came the rim after flushng, but didn't overflow, however the person who flushed the toilet plunged it without turning off the water source first; a few minutes later, I heard someone scream; the fire trucks responded stayed much later and the problem in general was much more serious; however, as with the earlier incidents when they have responded, I have no idea what this particular problem is.

Now about 5:00PM Eastern Standard Time, Sunday, Feb 17, I heard someone outside yell"Gas!",followed by bomb-like noises. I know that cold weather, combined with electrical problems caused by water damage can cause gas tanks to explode; I'm not sure if it's the building gas supply in general, or the gas line to the apartment that was flooded(it seems to contribute a great deal to what 's going on)the building is next to a gas station.How did the water damage from the flooded apartment cause all this and start in motion, getting progressively worse with each incident,how could Sandy and the following winter storms and unseasonably cold temperatures been a factor, and how can it be fixed for good and prevented from getting worse until it can be fixed?

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-17-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added spaces
kathplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,202

You failed to mention the gas company- have they been involved?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

This is definitely not a DIY project. Let the professionals handle it.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,944

Sounds like it's time to move to me. No way would I stick around and deal with it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
paintdrying (02-17-2013)