Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #1

Share |

Natural Gas Problem ?

Don't know if anyone here can help, but , haven't found another place to even ask. About a month ago we developed an orange flame on our gas range and gas space heater in the family room. It also appears to be in our hot water heater as well, although harder to see. Can't tell on our house furnace, as it's difficult to see in there. The flame in all instances is higher than normal, and 80% orange, instead of the normal blue. Our space heater is not adjustable, it's on or off, so the higher flame is more visible. Also, when the space heater is off, the pilot light is 2-3 times higher than it used to be, & orange. No work has been done on our gas lines or gas lines on our street. We had the gas company, PG&E, come out and inspect it. He chkd everything for leaks and used a CO2 detector, and everthing ckd OK. He went out to the meter and said he ckd the pressure (I didn't watch him out there) and it was OK. He didn't know why we had an orange flame, but said it was oK. Late one evening I noticed the orange was gone, and the blue flames on our space heater & range were back to normal. Next morning, and ever since, we're back to the orange flame. The fact that several of our appliances are affected, leads me to believe that it's a gas company problem. Anybody have any ideas ?

Malibujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #2

Natural Gas Problem ?

A defective pressure regulater would be my fist thought.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #3

Natural Gas Problem ?

Regulator on the gas meter ?
Malibujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #4

Natural Gas Problem ?

I agree, it initially seems like a change in line pressure is forcing a bit more gas through your appliances and the air, aka oxygen source, is not being increased. This results in a more "rich" flame which can be identified by a more orange color. Is it a problem, probably not as long as it's adequately vented (as the previous smaller flames were) and isn't generating excess CO, which you said the serviceperson checked.

I would be sure to have a CO monitor in the vicinity anyway (never a bad idea with gas heaters) and give it a month and see how it progress. I wouldn't take everything the serviceperson said as fact. They obviously didn't take the time to investigate the change, but I think it is reasonable to say its not bad, just different.
Zanfirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Natural Gas Problem ?

If your service regulator has failed, it will relieve to atmosphere when the pressure build up. Do you smell gas outside occasionally? A simple test would be to mix some liquid dish detergent with water, spray some on your hand and hold your hand under the relief of the service reg, leaving a small gap for the gas to come out and form a bubble if it is, in fact, relieving. This may take a while so be patient. Do you have an inches service, or pounds? If pounds, it could be your system regulator that has failed.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Natural Gas Problem ?

yes tell the gas company to replace regulator...its bad or going bad....

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote