Natural Gas Pipe Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

natural gas pipe line

I'm trying to extend an under ground natural gas pipe (1-1/4 in.) for a pool heater. When installed they used the plastic pipe with a steel pipe riser that is connected to the heater. Problem - they don't sell the yellow plastic pipe any more. Does anyone know if I can use white PVC piping and connectors to entend this pipe ? If not does anyone have a solution ?

Thanks Dave444

Advertisement

dave444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Rewards Points: 75
Exclamation

natural gas pipe line

YES I KNOW JUST WHAT TO DO ! !

CALL YOUR LOCAL MASTER PLUMBER/CONTRACTOR ! A.S.A.P. ! ! !

Advertisement

MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

natural gas pipe line

Dave, I have run across this question before. Regular white pvc is NFG for natural gas. (NFG stands for "no good".)

Also, there used to be a yellow pvc material that was approved, but that is no longer the case. The yellow plastic gas pipe I'm familiar with today is polyethylene, and it is still available. But that's really not a DIY job. We're required to have training when joining them together, and depending on the joint, you have to have special thermal fusion equipment.

Since most towns have very specific requirements for buried gas lines, best bet is to call your town's plumbing inspector and say "Hi, I'm a homeowner here in town, can you tell me what code approved material of construction I should use for a buried gas line? I'm extending an existing fixture feed line from one location to a new location, and I've got the yellow pvc stuff in there now." He might say factory epoxy coated steel pipe with field joint kits, he might say PE. It all depends on what is locally approved.

But if you've never worked with buried gas piping before, I'm not sure tackling this would be a wise decision. Our crews will do anything above ground, but even we stay away from the buried PE gas lines. We have a subcontractor that does nothing but buried PE gas lines. We'll do the excavation and tie ins, but the pipe is all his deal. Too much liability, and we don't do enough UG pipe to warrant forking over the money to buy a fusion rig, which kind of boxes us out of small jobs because the rental on those units pushes our number higher than a guy that owns the equipment. So we happily sub that portion out.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

natural gas pipe line

Very good advice from Aggie67. PVC's definitely a no-no for gas. The only really DIYer-friendly gasline material is black iron, and burial of black pipe is generally going to be a problem. Any plumber can put flexible polyethylene in for you pretty easily.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

natural gas pipe line

Thanks for the advice, I figured I would have to call a plumber to get this fixed.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Git

natural gas pipe line

You didn't indicate where your located but around S Cal, swimming pool contractors deal with this all the time. The most common connection I see is a fitting that resembles a small buoy ( I can't remember the name at the moment) Anyways you cut off the pipe square, chamfer the edge and then push on this fitting, it has an O - ring seal inside. They also make the epoxy coated steel risers with this type of fitting on the end.

It is very easy to install, but as mentioned above, they won't sell the parts to just anyone.

I would do all the grunt work, dig down and locate the pipe and then trench out where you want the new line to go. Then call up one of the pool companies. All they would have to do is come out, slip on the fitting and the tracer wire, add a section of pipe and the the other fitting
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #7

natural gas pipe line

do not use anything but what you are suppose to here. even though gas is low pressure, a leak could be disastrous. why not just extend the galv. metal pipe to wherever you can reattach to the yellow pipe. and if the yellow pipe is a plastic wrap on coiled metal gas line, yes they do sell it still. when i don't have what i need on one end then i bring the other to it. thanks, buddy builder p.s. make sure this done correct. my advice on gas lines is to use the pro folks.
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #8

natural gas pipe line

Thanks again for all the advice, it really helps

Dave444

Advertisement