Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

natural gas line problem

I have natural gas in my home and I have a problem. The gas company wants me to remove a regulator that is inside my basement. There is a regulator outside at my meter and they do not want one inside. Rumor is that the regulator inside the basement because at one time the house received free gas.

Those days are long gone and now I'm having problems with my gas service. When temps get really cold outside the I'm losing my service. The gas company thinks it may be due to having two regulators. Bottom line is they want me to remove it.

I've never messed with gas lines before. Not sure what the best plan of action is. I've included two pictures. The The gas enters the home to the left of the regulator where there is a shutoff valve. The pipe running up from the regulator is a vent that goes back outside the house and is an open vent. The black pipe running down goes to my gas dryer. My original thought was to just unscrew the regulator and cap it off but that doesn't appear possible. How should I fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
natural gas line problem-img_20120115_155459.jpg   natural gas line problem-img_20120115_155517.jpg  

speedster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #2

natural gas line problem

I'd let the gas company figure it out or hire a plumber that's also licenced to work on gas. No DIY should be messing with that.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Experienced

natural gas line problem

Thats is going to be a b of a job, as there are no unions in the main line on either side of the regulator, at least in the pictures.

You should get a gas fitter to look at that.

Mark
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

natural gas line problem

your losing your gas pressure thru the indoor regulator crank it all the way UP CCW so it isn't effecting the street pressure in the colder weather and that demand locally.i would hack saw/recip saw that nipple to the left of the regulator going to the reducing coupling and remove the entire regulator setup,add a GAS union right out of the reducing coupling... and pipe it up into the right side exsisting...cap the vent or remove the riser at the nearest fitting.

Last edited by biggles; 01-15-2012 at 05:03 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

natural gas line problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Rumor is that the regulator inside the basement because at one time
the house received free gas.
I used to work with a guy who's family had a place near Sistersville...
an old ModelT engine was still running an oil well and they too got free gas

Quote:
I have natural gas in my home and I have a problem.
The gas company wants me to remove a regulator that is inside my basement.
There is a regulator outside at my meter and they do not want one inside.
Not unreasonable. They don't like meters in houses anymore either.
Has the Gas Co. volunteered to do the work needed?

Quote:
Not sure what the best plan of action is. How should I fix this?
If it's left to you...
your licensed pipe fitter will cut the pipe at some point...
then remove some old fittings and set some new fittings.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
JOATMON

natural gas line problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Thats is going to be a b of a job, as there are no unions in the main line on either side of the regulator, at least in the pictures.

You should get a gas fitter to look at that.

Mark
Actually, I think the main line is the vertical one......and it has a union.

Now, with that said, I was under the impression that unions were not allowed inside.

But all is not lost....can't remember what it's called...but it's a pipe where the ends are threaded oposite....as you turn it, both ends screw in. This would be better than a union.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

natural gas line problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Actually, I think the main line is the vertical one......and it has a union.

Now, with that said, I was under the impression that unions were not allowed inside.

But all is not lost....can't remember what it's called...but it's a pipe where the ends are threaded oposite....as you turn it, both ends screw in. This would be better than a union.
Unions are allowed inside. Every piece of equipment has them in one form or another. You can't hide them in walls though.
The vert. pipe is the regulator vent- required to vent to the outside.
A left/right nipple and coupling is what your referring to
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

natural gas line problem

I would hire this out to a plumber.. this is not a diy project....no disrespect..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

natural gas line problem

don't let the gas company into your house they will bang your bill for the work grab a local plumber/hvac tech he'll knock it off in a morning and cut pipe right out of the back of his service truck if your not comfortable doing it.... the vertical is a bellows vent thats why there is a union so you can pipe up from the reg to the riser and the reg could be removed or repaired back when

Last edited by biggles; 01-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

natural gas line problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
I would hire this out to a plumber.. this is not a diy project....no disrespect..
I agree. Anything you could mess up and blow your house up isn't something to work on if you don;t have experience. Whatever the cost, I would feel so much safer hiring someone.

Natural gas freaks me out. I don't think I will ever be able to own a house with it.
tractorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

natural gas line problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorfarmer View Post
I agree. Anything you could mess up and blow your house up isn't something to work on if you don;t have experience. Whatever the cost, I would feel so much safer hiring someone.

Natural gas freaks me out. I don't think I will ever be able to own a house with it.
" a mans got to know his limitations"""
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #12

natural gas line problem

REMOVING the TEE....looking at that again if you break the riser union with a wrench and break the connection of the reg into the tee there pull that reg out...those left/right fittings look like some type of compression/flares, but certainly not threaded with those pipes going in to the tee.if either hit HD/LOWES for a female coupling slip it in and your done....check for eaks with a match.....? just kidding

Last edited by biggles; 01-15-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #13

natural gas line problem

I see a lot of guys have weighed in on this, but I'll throw my two cents in as well. My first advice would be to hire a gas fitter to handle this, because, if you don't understand gas systems, this could get really ugly really quick. That being said, I'll let you know what I'd do based on what information you've supplied, which is one of two things. One, I'd turn the spring on the inside regulator (aka reg) inwards (clockwise, not CCW as another poster suggested- that will only cause more trouble). This will allow that reg to act as a monitor, which is basically a down stream reg from the main reg which remains open until the main (outside)reg fails and takes over to prevent a massive spike in pressure which will destroy your appliance regs. If it's set too close to the main reg, it can cause pressure problems. It should be set much higher. Two, I would simply remove the inside reg. You can remove the venting, then undo the nut holding the pan to the reg body, then cut the piping with a sawzall and install a union between two short sections of pipe. be sure to shut the gas off first. Don't use pipe dope on the union fitting other than on the pipe, and don't use left hand/right hand pipe and fittings, they are against code in Canada, and I'd guess that they're against code in the states as well. Good luck, and feel free to message me if you have any questions.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Experienced

natural gas line problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
REMOVING the TEE....looking at that again if you break the riser union with a wrench and break the connection of the reg into the tee there pull that reg out...those left/right fittings look like some type of compression/flares, but certainly not threaded with those pipes going in to the tee.if either hit HD/LOWES for a female coupling slip it in and your done....check for eaks with a match.....? just kidding
Not, try reducing bushings, no compression fitting in that picture.

Its an easy fix for an experienced trades person, being gas there is a level of care needed in doing this work, nothing real difficult, but the cost of failure would be priceless.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #15

natural gas line problem

Working on gas, anyone ever-heard of bronze adjustables, and open end wrench's. That's what real gas workers use to prevent sparks while working.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote