Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

Natural gas black pipe run, internal rust.

I am replacing the standpipe in an outdoor natural gas firepit install. It was too short due to regrading the backyard and raising the soil height. So I dug it out down to the subterranean 90-elbow to try to "do it right" rather than just add on more uncoated nipples.

It is epoxy coated blackpipe, and long story short after removing the standpipe for replacement I checked out the inside and it has some rust inside. Nothing serious, no pitting, but I assume the horizontal run is in roughly the same condition.

It this a problem? Assuming the pipes were sunk when the home was originally built they would be about 10 years old.

My thinking is that since there is no Oxygen in natural gas, that when the lines are charged the rust growth will be inhibited, and that the rust must be from prior of the installation, or some period between the installation and sealing and charging of the system.

Thoughts? Am I shafted? A new gas run means destroying a stamped patio.

Maxwellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Smile

Natural gas black pipe run, internal rust.

Almost all black iron piping is rusted in some degree or another , just replace the 90 in the ground with a tee looking down with a 6 inch nipple , we call that in the business a drip leg , blow out the line by leaving it open and opening the valve at the meter or main for just a second to purge the line should be fine for years , the 6 inch piece or nipple on the bottom will catch any debris or moisture in the line , hope that helps .

Plumbing247 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbing247 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-11-2012)