Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Share |
Default

Natural Gas BBQ install


I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm considering the purchase of a natural gas BBQ.
I plan to install a 1/2" copper line from a plugged T fitting, through the wall and out to the location of the BBQ.
I'm a retired electrician, so have all the tools that I need.
My question is, am I allowed to do this work myself or does it need to be done by a licensed gas fitter?

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Natural Gas BBQ install


That is something that your jurisdiction may or may not require a plumber to do. In most areas you can do it yourself and the code makes no requirement for a plumber to do it, but many cities require plumbers to do it. Permits are more than likely required, and a shut-off valve for the connection to the appliance is necessary.

1/2" flexible copper with flare fittings, right? Soldered copper isn't acceptable for gas installations under any circumstances.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Natural Gas BBQ install


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
That is something that your jurisdiction may or may not require a plumber to do. In most areas you can do it yourself and the code makes no requirement for a plumber to do it, but many cities require plumbers to do it. Permits are more than likely required, and a shut-off valve for the connection to the appliance is necessary.

1/2" flexible copper with flare fittings, right? Soldered copper isn't acceptable for gas installations under any circumstances.
Thanks for your quick reply, KC!
Its my intention to place a gas valve with a flared connection at the existing T that is in the line (3/4") feeding the hot water heater heater.
The line would run through the 8" concrete block foundation to a point near the BBQ.
I'll install a second valve (flared) outside, with a 1/2" black iron nipple connected a quick release coupler!
The black iron nipple will be supported with a standard pipe stand-off!
I've searched both my municipal and provincial websites for informatrion on code requirements and both are very quiet on this subject!
I'm hoping that a Ontario plumber will be able to enlighten me, in this matter!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 350
Default

Natural Gas BBQ install


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Thanks for your quick reply, KC!
Its my intention to place a gas valve with a flared connection at the existing T that is in the line (3/4") feeding the hot water heater heater.
The line would run through the 8" concrete block foundation to a point near the BBQ.
Some jurisdictionts require a sleeve when piping gas through a block wall. Plastic pipe works for a sleeve, use a sealer around the pipe in the block and between the plastic pipe and the gas pipe. A gas valve at the source is a good idea, but you need a valve before the appliance also.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Natural Gas BBQ install


Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Some jurisdictionts require a sleeve when piping gas through a block wall. Plastic pipe works for a sleeve, use a sealer around the pipe in the block and between the plastic pipe and the gas pipe. A gas valve at the source is a good idea, but you need a valve before the appliance also.
Would you believe that I met a gas fitter at a club that I belong to, yesterday and he said that I will require a sleeve also.
Wouldn't you know, after I did the install, this info came forth! I have no sleeve!
As I had drilled a 3/4" hole through the wall, I had 1/4" of space, so I made some wedges from some plastic that I had on hand, to center the pipe in the hole, then I caulked all around with silicon caulking!
The gas fitter that I met said that I should use a metal sleeve. I would argue that this would result in dissimilar metal electrolysis.
A plastic sleeve, as you have suggested, would be, to my mind a better solution.
Thanks for your reply!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Install Rigid Foam Insulation on Concrete earthad1 Building & Construction 9 10-26-2010 09:49 AM
Diagonal Hardwood Install Advice JDeFuria Flooring 7 06-29-2009 03:35 PM
natural gas install to existing house sagechickie Building & Construction 9 04-22-2009 09:44 PM
When to install tile flooring? MT Stringer Remodeling 4 10-28-2008 08:49 PM
Preparing to install Kerdi on bathtub surround DIY-Renovator Flooring 18 07-17-2008 10:42 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.