Mystery Sound Coming From Water Main - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 376
Rewards Points: 310

mystery sound coming from water main

Hey all,

We have a black flex tube coming through the wall of my basement. It's the water main. It goes up to the basement ceiling. There it Ts into copper. Half goes to the whole house. The other half goes to a nearby outside hose spigot. Both those have inside valves to shut either off.

For unknown reasons - we've been getting a mystery sound from this area. The sound reminds me of a jet off in the distance, or perhaps like if you were to whistle, but didn't whistle and only blew air.

Every time someone uses water or flushes - this sound happens. It only lasts for about 5 seconds after the water use stops.

Nothing has changed. The inside values haven't been touched.

What could this sound be? Is something caught in the line? Has water pressure increased (we don't notice it). Is something failing?


denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
sacramento plumber
wctekkk's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Posts: 147
Rewards Points: 77

check and see if it's a certain fixture that causes the noise if it is like a toilet replace the fill valve check your water pressure do you have a pressure reducing valve?


wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 376
Rewards Points: 310

I must have a water meter - but it's not at the house. I think it's by the street underground which would be about 70 feet away...could that noise still travel in?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 851
Rewards Points: 744

Well, yes, you most-likely do have a water meter. However, wctekkk asked if you have a pressure-reducing valve. Sometimes these are located with your water meter, but other times, they're located inside or outside the building, where the main line enters.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change water pressure regulator and repipe by main water shutoff daluu Plumbing 10 02-01-2012 01:02 AM
Main hot water pipe leaking under slab tiredofleaks Plumbing 9 09-12-2011 02:45 PM
Leaking water line needs new water regulator? huynh Plumbing 16 11-04-2010 11:32 AM
Anoying sound in house water pipes when sprinklers are ON gante Plumbing 1 06-07-2010 06:04 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1