Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Mystery - leak or no leak

Hello All - I noticed a warm tile in my kitchen about a year ago. The warm area is between the cooking range and the island. There is a sink on the island so my first though was we have a hot water leak under the slab although there is no visible water anywhere. I did a little bit of troubleshooting - shut off all the water in the house and checked the water meter. I noticed that the leak detector was moving very slowly - perhaps one revolution per minute. Then I went inside the house and shut off the supply valve to the water heater. Went back to check the water meter and there was no movement. So that confirmed I have a small hot water leak in the house.

Last week I had a plumber come in to repair the leak. First thing he did was check the pressure in the hot water line - found the pressure was leaking. Then he checked the pressure on each water line from the manifold and isolated the pressure leak on a line that supplies hot water to the master bath. He also measured the temperature on the hot spot and surrounding tiles to guesstimate where the leak might be. He listened with the stethoscope and said he could hear a faint "blip" "blip". He gave me an option to either jackhammer the floor or tunnel from the outside but I needed to research whether I can find the replacement tiles before we jackhammer which seems to be the cost effective option. Then couple of days later I noticed that the floor isn't warm as it used to be. Then when I checked the water meter - I was surprised to see that the leak indicator was not moving at all. I have been checking the meter daily and today is the third day and the leak indicator is stationary. So I am confused what is going on here. Do I even have a slab leak?

One other thing that happened last year during summer was that the circuit located below the sink that powers the dishwasher tripped and it would not stay on at all. That wiring runs right under the tiles where I thought the leak was. I assumed that the water leak had somehow caused the wire to short - we had to abandon the wire and get a new line in for the dishwasher.

I am very confused. I have felt the warm tiles and noticed small movement on the leak indicator for over a year and somehow the pressure check (or something else) on the individual line done by the plumber did something? Does anyone have any thoughts on this mystery?

turness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

I think the leak has nothing to do with it loosing power.
As that line is leaking it's causing the soil under it to settle, just may be his pressureizing the line blew even more dirt out of the way so now there a really big hole under there so the water not touching the slab any more.
Any idea what type pipe it is?
Go back and add your location to your profile if you have not done so all ready.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Joe - shouldn't the flow indicator on the water meter turn if there is a leak? The thing is the flow indicator is currently stationary when all valves are shut. This is a 3/4" copper pipe.

I have added location to my profile.
turness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Could be most any blocking it up, he may well have knock some trash loose in the line and it's temperarly plugging up the hole.
It was common years ago to run unprotected copper lines thorugh slabs, They soon found out it was a very bad idea and have cost thouands of people a ton of money to repair.

I mine own retal house they had of all things steel pipe ran through the slab.
I replaced it all with PEX ran through the wall, no more rust and no more leaks.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

The plumber sounds good but he did not permanently fix your problem. You have 3 options. Fix it now. Keep watching it and fix it when it leaks again. Or just forget about it all together. I ,personally ,would fix it now.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slab leak