My Shower Head Was Leaking With The Hot And Cold Turned To Off - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

My shower head was leaking with the hot and cold turned to off

well, there is this house that i want to start staying at and it is vacant right now but my grandma is paying the minumum water bill so i want to use watever water i can when i stay there. but she had to cut off the main water outside because it was leaking in the shower. well, the shower is in the basement and it is really old. it has galvenized piping that is just crazy molded and yuck. it has a long pipe that goes up with the hot and cold things at the bottom ( i posted a picture so u know wat i am talking about). well i had to take out the panel (pain in the butt because TONS of screws were stripped cause its so old -regular screws) to get to the pipes. i got about a month left until college gets out for the semester so i want to just "temporarly" cap off the water. the reason is so that will not leak and i dont have the time to do all that plumbing. well i went to lowes and bought a 3/4 inch cap and that was too small so i had to go back and got an inch cap and that was too big... there is none in between that... there is thread inside the pipes where i could plug it but i dont want to keep guessing sizes and wasting gas. is there any way to find out wat size cap or plug will fit it? i tried measuring it but the outside diameter said an inch.. and that didn't work. i think that this is so old that nobody carries the part for it. any suggestions wat i can do or where i can find a cap or plug to fit this? i dont have near the time to do all the plumbing right now and by gosh i dont want a plumber to look at it cuz i can do it myself. also, the thread on the left side valve where the cold water comes out has chips in it... if i find the right cap to cap it off would it leak through those threads? i will be using teflon tape. i also posted a pic of where it shows the thread is chipped.
Attached Thumbnails
My shower head was leaking with the hot and cold turned to off-shower-valve.jpg   My shower head was leaking with the hot and cold turned to off-shower-valves-perfect.jpg   My shower head was leaking with the hot and cold turned to off-perfect-1.jpg   My shower head was leaking with the hot and cold turned to off-narrowed-down.jpg  

Advertisement

wwejj0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

You are trying to cap the openings for the shower handles?? That won't work.

Sinply buy 2--half inch gavlavized caps and cap the pipes that used to hold in that assembly---leave the old shower mixer valve and its piping out of the wall until you are ready to feplace it--

Use TFE paste (pipe dope) and Teflon tape,too.---Those old threads need the extra sealing that the pipe dope will provide.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You are trying to cap the openings for the shower handles?? That won't work.

Sinply buy 2--half inch gavlavized caps and cap the pipes that used to hold in that assembly---leave the old shower mixer valve and its piping out of the wall until you are ready to feplace it--

Use TFE paste (pipe dope) and Teflon tape,too.---Those old threads need the extra sealing that the pipe dope will provide.---Mike---
Hey Mike thanks for the fast reply. The only thing I have left of the assembly is that piece in the pictures with the hot and water valves at the bottom and the long pipe going up to where the shower head screws on. I lost the pipes that screw into the hot and cold valves. Is there any way to leave off the assembly I took off and unscrew the two elbows that holds the assembly I took off and stick a plug into the pipes where the elbows unscrew?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwejj0926 View Post
Hey Mike thanks for the fast reply. The only thing I have left of the assembly is that piece in the pictures with the hot and water valves at the bottom and the long pipe going up to where the shower head screws on. I lost the pipes that screw into the hot and cold valves. Is there any way to leave off the assembly I took off and unscrew the two elbows that holds the assembly I took off and stick a plug into the pipes where the elbows unscrew?
Ayuh,... Just screw caps on the lines that feed that assembly....

Where the unions were...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-06-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Just screw caps on the lines that feed that assembly....

Where the unions were...
Thank you! I capped one side and plugged the other where the union was. thanks again! :D
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Looks like what was in our bathroom, before we replaced with a new shower head. That unit has met its useful life expectancy, and needs to be replaced.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote