Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #1

Share |
Question

My shower handle makes showering a nightmare!!! Help!!!

Ok, so we have mixit single handles in our master shower and there are two shower units, one on each end of the shower. For starters, you can only get warm water out of the secondary one if the main one is on but it takes about twenty minutes of going between scalding and freezing to get them both at the right temperatures. The first problem that we are trying to fix however, is the hot/cold lever just keeps spinning. There is no stopper and we cannot figure it out. the cover stayed still when I was tightening the new one on and I have tried everything I can think of to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it a mixerr issue? Or can it be fixed without tearing into the wall? The handle is on the end of a pipe that for some reason, after fully assembled, shows the hole 2 or 3 inch metal case that goes around the cartridge. Is that normal? It looks horrible. HELLLLP!!!!
danandmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Danandme,

First of all. you said that the cover stayed still while you were tightening the new one on. Does this mean that these are new trims or just new handles?

Most single handle shower valves control how far the valve turns by the some combination of the handle design and the cartridge and/or sleeve design. Since you say that the handle looks like there is a piece of the trim missing that could be the problem. If you just replaced the trim you may not have gotten a new sleeve to cover the part of the valve that looks like a "pipe".

It would be very helpful to know what brand shower faucet you have and what, if any, work you have done.

As for the temperature problem, has this always been the case or did it start after you changed something?

Check out my goofy video for my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #3

We had mixit before and we have mixit now just a newer style. The trim plate is the same. but we replaced everything else. It was happening before we replaced them we just thought that the old ones were broken. Anyways, it's the sleeve that moved of course when we tightened it but the hardware under the sleeve stayed straight. But now, they still turn 360 and I don't think that they should. It doesn't look like anything is missing it's just that most handles come right to the wall of the shower and the back of our handle shows the hole sleeve before you get to the trim plate and the shower wall. How can I fix these issues?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

Danandme!,
The Mixet brand has both long and short cartridges. It sounds like you may have gotten the wrong one. Here is a source for cartridges that may solve your problem:
http://www.nomix.8m.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #5

I have the 100 model so would buying a shorter one make that big of a difference?they were 18.00 at Lowes but on the site you sent me the link to, they are 95.00. There shouldn't be a difference right? By the way, it's the ENTIRE chrome cartridge sleeve that shows so I am assuming that I would have to get one that was only a quarter of an inch long for it not to show and I don't think that is possible but I could be wrong.

Last edited by danandmel; 06-30-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
Licensed Master Plumber

Danandmel,
You are right. It doesn't sound like your cartridge is too short. As for the problem of it spinning all the way around, if it started doing that before you repaired it something must be either broken or worn out. (I know that is stating the obvious) so the "nomix: site claims to solve problems that sound similar to yours. I didn't check the price, $95 sounds a little steep to me too. If that fixed the problem it would probably be less total cost than replacing the valve with a new one, but if it didn't correct the issue you are out $95.

I am not too familiar with the Mixet valve but I do know the company has been out of business for some time. There are still lots of sources for at least some of the parts but not too much technical info available. I will keep looking and post back if I get more nfo.

Tags
hot cold shower problem