Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Share |

My pressure relief valve is hot to the touch

My PRV is hot to the touch and water leaks 24/7. What does that mean? Is it bad?

Thanks so much,
Troy

tntlassiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
My PRV is hot to the touch and water leaks 24/7. What does that mean? Is it bad?

Thanks so much,
Troy
It is a brand new unit also...FYI.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Do you mean TPR valve on hot water heater itself or pressure reducing valve (PVR)? Which one is actually leaking? Your post is a little confusing. They are two different valves. Post a pic if you can. I assume your talking about your new hot water heater TPR valve leaking 24/7. Very common problem if you have a closed loop system and no expansion tank. If the TPR is leaking 24/7 and letting pressure out, it's doing it's job, and does not necessarily mean it's bad. Sometimes they can go bad, however, usually in a new hwh install like in your case, it's unlikely. You probably have a closed loop system where the excess pressure can't escape, and just need to install an expansion tank to correct it. Thanks.

You can try opening it for about three seconds or so and close it, see if that helps. You can try that a couple times, if that doesn't work, probably need an expansion tank installed.

Did you install an expansion tank? Did you do the install or contractor? Through up some pics of it if you can. Thanks

Last edited by jmon; 04-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Do you mean TPR valve on hot water heater itself or pressure reducing valve (PVR)? Which one is actually leaking? Your post is a little confusing. They are two different valves. Post a pic if you can. I assume your talking about your new hot water heater TPR valve leaking 24/7. Very common problem if you have a closed loop system and no expansion tank. If the TPR is leaking 24/7 and letting pressure out, it's doing it's job, and does not necessarily mean it's bad. Sometimes they do go bad, however, if it's a new tank and close loop system, you probably just need to install an expansion tank to correct it. Thanks.

You can try opening it for about three seconds or so and close it, see if that helps. You can try that a couple times, if that doesn't work, probably need an expansion tank installed.

Did you install an expansion tank when you did your install?. Did you do the install or contractor? Through up some pics of it if you can. Thanks
We have seen a raft of bad expansion valves on this forum. I have owned 6 homes, and not one of them has had an expansion tank on the hot water heater. So what has changed that makes an expansion tank now necessary when they were not necessary for like a hundred years?

Could it be the use of PEX?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
We have seen a raft of bad expansion valves on this forum. I have owned 6 homes, and not one of them has had an expansion tank on the hot water heater. So what has changed that makes an expansion tank now necessary when they were not necessary for like a hundred years?

Could it be the use of PEX?

There is a variety of reasons expansion tanks became necessary.
If a home has a tight water system with no leakage through faucets or toilets as water is heated physics cause it to expand. If your home has no back flow device on the water or pressure reducing valve that expansion will feed back to the city main. If you have one of these devices it will prevent that expansion from going anywhere and will cause your T&P on the hot water tank to drip as it will do it's job and release the pressure.

The second reason is if you look at your warranty book you may find it mentioned a few times. Not having one gives the manufacture a way out of the warranty.

The third reason is if you have a pressure reducing valve or back flow valve on the main it is required to be installed by the IPC.

The forth reason is if your finished basement gets trashed and your insurance investigator notices it was required you just gave them a way out of coverage. Especially if permits to install were required and not taken.

Faucets back in the day had washers and leaks. New faucets rarely use washers and rarely leak.

I hope this will explain it to you.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
fetzer85 (04-15-2013), jagans (04-14-2013), jmon (04-14-2013), Thurman (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Do you mean TPR valve on hot water heater itself or pressure reducing valve (PVR)? Which one is actually leaking? Your post is a little confusing. They are two different valves. Post a pic if you can. I assume your talking about your new hot water heater TPR valve leaking 24/7. Very common problem if you have a closed loop system and no expansion tank. If the TPR is leaking 24/7 and letting pressure out, it's doing it's job, and does not necessarily mean it's bad. Sometimes they do go bad, however, if it's a new tank and close loop system, you probably just need to install an expansion tank to correct it. Thanks.

Did you install an expansion tank when you did your install?. Did you do the install or contractor? Through up some pics of it if you can. Thanks
Here is a pic of what leaks and no I didn't install an expansion tank. I have a 5 gallon bucket under the PVC pipe that I have to empty at least twice a day.
Attached Thumbnails
My pressure relief valve is hot to the touch-dsc_0077.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

That is a TPR valve for a hot water tank. As noted previously by several posters, your system requires a means of relieving pressure as the water heats up. If you are on a well, you typically have an expansion tank for the well pressure, which doubles to allow pressure relief for hot water. If you are on city water, as previously noted, if you DO NOT have a pressure reducing valve or a backflow preventer, the city mains act to relieve excess pressure. If you have either of those devices, you need an expansion tank.

You may have an expansion tank that is no longer functioning. Malfunctioning expansion tanks have been discussed many times on this forum, if you think you have an expansion tank that may bad, search on this forum for discussions about testing and repairing expansion tanks.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
bbo (04-14-2013), jagans (04-14-2013), jmon (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

What have you got the temature set at?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
That is a TPR valve for a hot water tank. As noted previously by several posters, your system requires a means of relieving pressure as the water heats up. If you are on a well, you typically have an expansion tank for the well pressure, which doubles to allow pressure relief for hot water. If you are on city water, as previously noted, if you DO NOT have a pressure reducing valve or a backflow preventer, the city mains act to relieve excess pressure. If you have either of those devices, you need an expansion tank.

You may have an expansion tank that is no longer functioning. Malfunctioning expansion tanks have been discussed many times on this forum, if you think you have an expansion tank that may bad, search on this forum for discussions about testing and repairing expansion tanks.
I do not have an expansion tank at all. Will an expansion tank stop the water leak?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What have you got the temature set at?
My temps do not have numbers. I have hot then a, b and c for the hottest. I have it between a and b. Does this make sense?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Plumber

Its a kenmore !
Who installed it ?
Have them come back and fix it.
If they refuse call your building department ad ask for a permit and inspection.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post
Its a kenmore !
Who installed it ?
If they refuse call your building department ad ask for a permit and inspection.
I installed a 52 gallon NG Kenmore in 2010 and it has worked flawlessly. They are made by AO Smith, who has been making water heaters ever since I can remember.

My Dads first HWH was an AO Smith and I replaced his. The POS only lasted 35 years (TIC) and I know damn well he never replaced the Anode, or even know what one was.

I am sure they don't make them like they did in "48" though. We shall see.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post

Thank You Daniel, as always, an intelligent, thoughtful answer. I have asked a gazillion times on this forum if my well water expansion tank would serve as expansion for my HWH as it simply made sense that it would since it is in series with the HWH and there is no check valve in the line between the two. You have answered the gazillion and first request.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post
Its a kenmore !
Who installed it ?
I installed it... no one to call. lol
Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntlassiter View Post
I do not have an expansion tank at all. Will an expansion tank stop the water leak?
Please re-read post #7, by Daniel Holzman, right under your pic, IMO, explains what you need to do. If you need anymore help or advice, keep asking questions, that's what the guys are here for. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 04-14-2013 at 07:17 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote