Musty Smell In Bathroom - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Musty smell in bathroom

Hi,

I had a new bathroom finished in early 2008. This spring I started getting a musty smell from the shower stall. I cleaned it thouroughly and stopped using it for a few weeks to see if the smell would go away but no luck. I have a second bath in another part of the house which has never had any such problem.

The only other curious thing that happened in relation to this bathroom was over the winter. Occasionally, when I flushed the toilet and ran the water in the sink I would get a loud banging sound. It would only last a few seconds and didn't have any obvious effect on either the flushing or the water pressure.

My house is on the market so the timing could not have been worse. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

Colleen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Walk in Bathtubs

Rewards Points: 10

Musty smell in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen2 View Post
Hi,

I had a new bathroom finished in early 2008. This spring I started getting a musty smell from the shower stall. I cleaned it thouroughly and stopped using it for a few weeks to see if the smell would go away but no luck. I have a second bath in another part of the house which has never had any such problem.

The only other curious thing that happened in relation to this bathroom was over the winter. Occasionally, when I flushed the toilet and ran the water in the sink I would get a loud banging sound. It would only last a few seconds and didn't have any obvious effect on either the flushing or the water pressure.

My house is on the market so the timing could not have been worse. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It almost sounds like they may have not installed a P-trap to your shower. Although I don't know how they would have neglected to do this is the smell a sulfur like smell?

Advertisement

Walk in Bathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Below Grader

Rewards Points: 75

Musty smell in bathroom

Musty smells usually indicate the presence of mold. If you can't see it, it might be behind the wall or the sub-floor.
You didn't mention how was the basement finished, but seems to me that they might not have sealed it well around the shower and the water found a way to infiltrate the wood.
Will recommend you to check it asap as it once happened to a place I was renting and by the time we found out what was the problem the sub-floor was so rotten, it was literally dissolving.
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote