Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

Multipul Valves

My house was built in the 40s then remodled a few years go and durnign the remodel the plumbing was completely upgraded from steel pipes to copper.

So after spending a good amount of time under the house I got a good layout of the existing plumbing. There is a water on/off valve in my utility room which shuts off water to whole house with the exception of one outside water spigot. The water come in from the street in a steel pipe, comes though the foundation then "T"s one part goes connects to teh new copper pipes in the out the other side connects to a steel exterior spigot.

There is the water on/off valve in teh street, its on the city water gauge, this shuts off everything on the property.

Then in the middle of my front yard there is the OLD water on/off valve for the house. There a hole in the middle of my front yard with a cap on it. This shuts off water to entire house.

With my house being remolded, I see no reason to have (3) on off valves. Does anyone see a problem with my wrapping up the valve in teh middle of my yard with plastic or something and leaving it in the open position then filling in the whole and covering it with dirt? I just want my yard to have a complete look to it and with this huge hole in the front yard its hard to get that look.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Multipul Valves

I would dig it up and remove the valve, replace it with a coupling or a union, To bury the valve is only going to cause a problem sometime in the future. Just my opinion.

merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Multipul Valves

X2 on the above post.

Especially if it's a GATE valve, the gate can drop off of the stem when the stem rots out, and block the flow of water. If you bury it, and have a problem with the water, nobody will know this valve is there to suspect that there may be a problem with it.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Multipul Valves

good idea, i will look into that.. I am typically not one to want to mess with plumbing, but I might be willing to take a risk..
Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Multipul Valves

I called up an old friend who was a plumber, asked him if he wanted to make a few bucks and if he would change the valve..

I showed it to him and said he wouldn't touch it, he said that old galvy pipes would most likely crumble if he was to remove the valve, he said the only thing he would be willing to do is replace the entire service line from the meter. That is more work that I want at the moment as it would require digging up my entire yard

So that being said should I just bury it? It sounds like the service line would need to be replace no mater what.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #6

Multipul Valves

this has got me thinking.. should I replace the whole service line or not... the problem is the only reason I am even looking at this valve is because of an extensive landscape project I am working on..

If I aint broke dont fix it.. right?? well if it beaks soon after I am finished with landscaping then I am SOL and will have to tear it all back up.. But I am guessing the service line gets EXPENSIVE to replace.. I am looking at about 25'-30' up hill and it runs about 5' to the side of a VERY large tree.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Multipul Valves

The main expense of replacing the line is the digging. Depending on your location you could be looking at a very deep ditch. The materials are not much especially if you can use PVC by local code, and maybe even cheaper installation if you get a roll of pex and an adapter on each end.

I WOULD NOT recommend burying a valve in the ground under any circumstances. What type of landscaping are you doing? Is there any way you can stick a piece of even 2" pvc over the handle of the valve and stick it up above finished grade 3-4 " so that you can locate it later?