Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


We recently bought a new front loading washer and dryer and due to them being a little larger than our old one, we had to move stuff around a little in our utilitly room so we could slide them down enough to open the door to the utility room.

On another wall of the same room is our water heater which sits in a corner (of outside walls), I would like to move the washer to one side of it and the dryer to the other. We could tie into the lines for the water heater to supply the washer and we would vent the dryer through the outside wall.

Question is, can the washer drain line be tied in to the drain of a sink which sits next to where the washer would sit?

I hope I explained this well enough to answer...

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,911
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


if its one of those big wash sinks/tubs you can normally drain into the sink,otherwise a washer requires its own 2" drain to keep up with it

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,437
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
We recently bought a new front loading washer and dryer and due to them being a little larger than our old one, we had to move stuff around a little in our utilitly room so we could slide them down enough to open the door to the utility room.

On another wall of the same room is our water heater which sits in a corner (of outside walls), I would like to move the washer to one side of it and the dryer to the other. We could tie into the lines for the water heater to supply the washer and we would vent the dryer through the outside wall.

Question is, can the washer drain line be tied in to the drain of a sink which sits next to where the washer would sit?

I hope I explained this well enough to answer...
it would help to have picture of sink.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Here are a couple of pics of what I am working with...I am wanting to put the washer where the freezer is and the dryer on the wall on the other side of the water heater.





bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,911
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


no that sink will not work as a catch basin for washing machine,needs to be a wash tub type sink to catch the water.
the plumbing running to that sink is also too small for washing machine
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,437
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


no no no agree with plummen this is way to small to handle water discharge from washer....what are your other options as far as plumbing lines and their locations.....sorry
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Would you be able to change out the sink to a wash tub type? Then you could just hang the wash waste water hose clamped to the side of the tub sink. My mom had that arrangement when I was growing up, (she had a cement tub sink).
Wife DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wife DIYer For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-19-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wife DIYer View Post
Would you be able to change out the sink to a wash tub type? Then you could just hang the wash waste water hose clamped to the side of the tub sink. My mom had that arrangement when I was growing up, (she had a cement tub sink).

If it comes down to it, we may have to do just that!

Anyone know what this pipe is coming up from the floor? It looks like some sort of drain or vent?

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,437
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


that looks like a drain or a vent...but if it was a vent the fact its closed off you would be having so kind of problem...my guess a drain....take off tape fill sink bowl with water and drain it..listen in 2" pipe to see if you hear water...that will tell you if its part of the system if it is there is your washer drain...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
that looks like a drain or a vent...but if it was a vent the fact its closed off you would be having so kind of problem...my guess a drain....take off tape fill sink bowl with water and drain it..listen in 2" pipe to see if you hear water...that will tell you if its part of the system if it is there is your washer drain...

I removed the tape, pulled the plastic cap and sure enough...there is water down there! I did as you said, and sure enough, it is a drain! That will definitely make this little move a lot easier! I am assuming it will handle the water?

Next question, rather than solder in valves into the copper lines at the water heater, is it ok to use the shark bite stuff?
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,437
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
I removed the tape, pulled the plastic cap and sure enough...there is water down there! I did as you said, and sure enough, it is a drain! That will definitely make this little move a lot easier! I am assuming it will handle the water?

Next question, rather than solder in valves into the copper lines at the water heater, is it ok to use the shark bite stuff?
Iam not a big fan on this stuff...only because I like copper and Iam very good at it....but yes alot of diy use it seems to be ok... good luck...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,943
Rewards Points: 2,066
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
if its one of those big wash sinks/tubs you can normally drain into the sink
I'm sure a pro will chime in here, but I don't think that is legal any more.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,526
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
if its one of those big wash sinks/tubs you can normally drain into the sink,otherwise a washer requires its own 2" drain to keep up with it
It's still accepted practice around here.

Quote:
Anyone know what this pipe is coming up from the floor? It looks like some sort of drain or vent?
It's probably the drain for the T&P relief valve.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


T & P?

I am looking into both routes, using the shark bite stuff to tie into the lines and also looking at getting someone to solder into the lines and do it right!

I am planning to hopefully get my electrician buddy to run the electric for them this weekend and I plan to try to remove some bricks to make room for the dryer vent. I have never done that before so any help would be great! I plan to just air chisel the mortar to remove them.
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,526
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Moving washer and dryer?


Quote:
T & P?
Temperature & Pressure relief valve, here's a pic of what one looks like.


VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
bassadict69 (12-25-2011)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
washer plugs into dryer, but amps on plugs don't match nmliz Electrical 22 10-19-2011 05:39 PM
Removed basement stairs - put in floor for washer and dryer capslock Flooring 3 10-09-2010 02:15 PM
Moving Washer and Dryer upstairs from basement pennypoopie General DIY Discussions 3 08-23-2009 05:29 PM
moving my washer and dryer coastalcomplete Plumbing 4 03-03-2009 09:45 PM
Moving washer and dryer into Garage, perhaps some constucion needed? J187 Building & Construction 4 05-21-2008 11:53 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.