Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Moving washer and dryer?

We recently bought a new front loading washer and dryer and due to them being a little larger than our old one, we had to move stuff around a little in our utilitly room so we could slide them down enough to open the door to the utility room.

On another wall of the same room is our water heater which sits in a corner (of outside walls), I would like to move the washer to one side of it and the dryer to the other. We could tie into the lines for the water heater to supply the washer and we would vent the dryer through the outside wall.

Question is, can the washer drain line be tied in to the drain of a sink which sits next to where the washer would sit?

I hope I explained this well enough to answer...

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Moving washer and dryer?

if its one of those big wash sinks/tubs you can normally drain into the sink,otherwise a washer requires its own 2" drain to keep up with it

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,188

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
We recently bought a new front loading washer and dryer and due to them being a little larger than our old one, we had to move stuff around a little in our utilitly room so we could slide them down enough to open the door to the utility room.

On another wall of the same room is our water heater which sits in a corner (of outside walls), I would like to move the washer to one side of it and the dryer to the other. We could tie into the lines for the water heater to supply the washer and we would vent the dryer through the outside wall.

Question is, can the washer drain line be tied in to the drain of a sink which sits next to where the washer would sit?

I hope I explained this well enough to answer...
it would help to have picture of sink.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

Moving washer and dryer?

Here are a couple of pics of what I am working with...I am wanting to put the washer where the freezer is and the dryer on the wall on the other side of the water heater.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Moving washer and dryer?

no that sink will not work as a catch basin for washing machine,needs to be a wash tub type sink to catch the water.
the plumbing running to that sink is also too small for washing machine
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Moving washer and dryer?

no no no agree with plummen this is way to small to handle water discharge from washer....what are your other options as far as plumbing lines and their locations.....sorry
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Moving washer and dryer?

Would you be able to change out the sink to a wash tub type? Then you could just hang the wash waste water hose clamped to the side of the tub sink. My mom had that arrangement when I was growing up, (she had a cement tub sink).
Wife DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wife DIYer For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-19-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #8

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wife DIYer View Post
Would you be able to change out the sink to a wash tub type? Then you could just hang the wash waste water hose clamped to the side of the tub sink. My mom had that arrangement when I was growing up, (she had a cement tub sink).

If it comes down to it, we may have to do just that!

Anyone know what this pipe is coming up from the floor? It looks like some sort of drain or vent?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #9

Moving washer and dryer?

that looks like a drain or a vent...but if it was a vent the fact its closed off you would be having so kind of problem...my guess a drain....take off tape fill sink bowl with water and drain it..listen in 2" pipe to see if you hear water...that will tell you if its part of the system if it is there is your washer drain...
Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #10

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
that looks like a drain or a vent...but if it was a vent the fact its closed off you would be having so kind of problem...my guess a drain....take off tape fill sink bowl with water and drain it..listen in 2" pipe to see if you hear water...that will tell you if its part of the system if it is there is your washer drain...

I removed the tape, pulled the plastic cap and sure enough...there is water down there! I did as you said, and sure enough, it is a drain! That will definitely make this little move a lot easier! I am assuming it will handle the water?

Next question, rather than solder in valves into the copper lines at the water heater, is it ok to use the shark bite stuff?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #11

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
I removed the tape, pulled the plastic cap and sure enough...there is water down there! I did as you said, and sure enough, it is a drain! That will definitely make this little move a lot easier! I am assuming it will handle the water?

Next question, rather than solder in valves into the copper lines at the water heater, is it ok to use the shark bite stuff?
Iam not a big fan on this stuff...only because I like copper and Iam very good at it....but yes alot of diy use it seems to be ok... good luck...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,066

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
if its one of those big wash sinks/tubs you can normally drain into the sink
I'm sure a pro will chime in here, but I don't think that is legal any more.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
if its one of those big wash sinks/tubs you can normally drain into the sink,otherwise a washer requires its own 2" drain to keep up with it
It's still accepted practice around here.

Quote:
Anyone know what this pipe is coming up from the floor? It looks like some sort of drain or vent?
It's probably the drain for the T&P relief valve.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #14

Moving washer and dryer?

T & P?

I am looking into both routes, using the shark bite stuff to tie into the lines and also looking at getting someone to solder into the lines and do it right!

I am planning to hopefully get my electrician buddy to run the electric for them this weekend and I plan to try to remove some bricks to make room for the dryer vent. I have never done that before so any help would be great! I plan to just air chisel the mortar to remove them.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Moving washer and dryer?

Quote:
T & P?
Temperature & Pressure relief valve, here's a pic of what one looks like.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
bassadict69 (12-25-2011)