Moving Tub Drain - Vent Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Moving Tub Drain - Vent questions

I've decided to flip a tub/shower around 180 degrees and move the plumbing to be able to open a room up more. However, I am now concerned about the venting requirements (Ontario). I believe they are a drain has to vent within 5 feet or so of the trap?

If you see the attached pictures, I've kind of outlined where I want to move the drain, and tried to show where the drain currently (roughly as I haven't opened up all the floor) attached to the vent stack.

Basically, extending the drain another 4 and a half feet or so, will exceed the 5 foot rule (if that is correct). Should I add a new vent pipe to the new drain area and attach it to the rest of the vent system in the attic above this room?
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Tub Drain - Vent questions-drain_proposal_1.jpg   Moving Tub Drain - Vent questions-img_00000048.jpg   Moving Tub Drain - Vent questions-img_00000041.jpg  

Advertisement

CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

BUMP... anyone have any thoughts? I'd much appreciate some!

Also, can a tub/shower be wet vented? The other drain there is coming from two sinks, which have their own circuit vent (or whatever you call it). Problem is I think that is only 1 1/4" pipe. If I were to change it to 1 1/2" drain, and likewise the same vent pipe, would it be ok to wet vent?
(as I think I could meet the 5' distance that way...)

Lastly, is it true a vent pipe has to go vertical before it can go horizontal? I recall reading that in posts here. So I could go off sideways from after the Ptrap to the alcove side wall to create a seperate tub/shower vent pipe?

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 552

i do not know the code for Ontario but you could run pipe straight to other wall of tub turn t up in wall for vent and connect to other vents then 90 back to catch trap for drain shoe
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #4

Another thought I had, which I'm trying to see if it's code in Ontario, but I think I can "wet vent" the tub/shower? That other smaller pipe you see there next to the proposed tub/shower drain is the drain coming from the two vanity sinks, which is vented on it's own. Can I join the tub/shower to that drain and consider it wet vented? Provided I use the proper sizes of pipe and what not? (provided wet vents are allowed in Ontario)

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Instead of continuing the drain as shown- put it under the back wall of the tub and vent off the top of it near the new trap location. The vent will rise up and tie into the existing one