Moving A Toilet Over Slightly (ideally 100ml) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moving a toilet over slightly (ideally 100ml)

I live in a high rise apartment and i am renovating. The bathroom is small. 2350 x 1600. the toilet i want to move over slightly to the right on the 1600 wall is to enable a 900 x 900 shower to fit beside it. The shower kit will fit in now but if you were on the toilet one's shoulder would be squashed up against the glass of the shower screen. There is plenty of room on the other side of the toilet. The current toilet system in place is a P trap. a big pipe coming out of the wall which heads directly into the back of the loo. There is also 2 taps. One either side of loo. 1 is for that loo's water and the other is to turn off the water for my apartment. Hope someone out there can tell me what they think my options might be. thanks in advance. Lee

Advertisement

Last edited by p&lrenos; 05-27-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: opting out
p&lrenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by p&lrenos View Post
high rise apartment... renovating... bathroom is small.

There is plenty of wall space at the room side of the toilet.
... big pipe coming out of the wall which heads directly into the back of the loo.

Hope someone out there can tell me what they think my options might be.
Your options depend on what you CAN'T see from the room side.
You have to get into the wall at least and KNOW where that pipe goes to
and how it gets there. That will likely involve opening up the floor as well.

There should be some "as built" architectural drawings on file somewhere (building engineer, city building department etc) to be reviewed for what is supposed to be there... but you'll still have to open up the wall to confirm.

If all the stars all align in your favor you'll be able to add/remove a bit of pipe, change some fittings, fix your wall and be done. But the stars will rarely align.

Advertisement

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 05-27-2012 at 05:39 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Last time I checked, ml was milliLiters.....I believe you mean mm (millimeters)

Are you living in councile housing (if they still call it that)....you need to make sure your allowed to make those changes. Last time I lived in the UK, you were limited to just general reno's....carpet...paint...etc.

If you own it....then follow what tarheel suggested. But be prepaired to pull up some floor.....and you might want to warn the neigbors below you.....just in case. 100mm is not very far so you might be lucky and be able to cut the pipe and put in a slight angle to get the new position....that is assuming your not up against a floor rafter already....

One other piece of advice.....assuming you can pull up a section of floor....make it a pretty good size piece....patching a small piece vs large piece is about the same amount of work.....but it's a lot easier to work if you have a larger hole.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote