Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Moving Toilet drain 10"

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I want to reposition the toilet drain 10" away from its original location. It would be moved diagonally so no joists are affected. I would have to drill through the basement up through the ceiling to the subfloor. Is it really that difficult? They are charging me 1200.00 for 2-3 hours work.

Can I do it and how would I drill the hole to move the drain. Also how do I stop the odor while I am doing all of this?

Thanks

lovinyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #2

Moving Toilet drain 10"

I'm trying to visualize what you're doing. Is this a second floor bath? Or do you have a first floor with a basement to work in. If it's the latter then the job should be pretty easy. What kind of flooring? If it is a wood floor you can just draw the outline of the new flange on the floor and drill a hole in the center. Then take a jig saw and cut out the rest. Cut back your sewer line and reconnect at the new location. Stuff a towel in the sewer line to stop sewer gasses from coming out.

sv9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

Wink

Moving Toilet drain 10"

Thank you so much for the info. Yes it is a first floor with a basement underneath. It is a 200 year old house so I have logs, hand hewn joists and a wood ceiling in the basement. That is what I see when I look up in the basement. I am assuming that there is no insulation between the floors and the bathroom only has a subfloor. No rot. I think I can do this!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #4

Moving Toilet drain 10"

I did the same job on my old house. It was just a baby at 80 years old. Mine had an open cieling in the basement so it was easier. The sub floor was 1x6 redwood set on a diaganal to the floor joist. Yours will probably be similar. No plywood in those days. You can change the sewer line to ABS, it will be very easy to work with. Then just get a rubber coupling to go from the ABS to the old cast iron.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #5

Moving Toilet drain 10"

Actually, the previous owners had three outhouses till the year 2000, so everything I only have PVC as far a connections are concerned. Believe or not, I don't live in the boonies. Amazing, isn't it? Again, thanks for all your help.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #6

Moving Toilet drain 10"

With PVC this should be a pretty simple job. Good luck