Moving Toilet 12 Feet, Unsure About Venting - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving toilet 12 feet, unsure about venting

I need to move a toilet on the second floor of a two floor house. I will be moving it about 12 feet away from where it is right now and I expect that means moving it 12 feet further from the main stack that has venting.
Everything I read says I will need to maintain a 1/4 inch drop for every foot of run of the pipe. I think I can do do this. However, I am not sure about the venting that I will need. Will the current venting on the main stack still work or do I need to have a vent closer to the new location of the toilet. If so, where exactly does the vent tie in to the toilet pipe? Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

sputnik62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

Toilets require a 3-4" closet bend/drain. As such they also require the same size vent -3-4"-. The placement of the tiolet must be within 5' of the vent line for proper operation. At 12 feet you should have to run second vent line up the wall behind or to the side of where your toilet will be set. That second vent can either be tied into the existing vent in the attic or it can be run straight up through the roof.

Advertisement

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grampa Bud For This Useful Post:
sputnik62 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
Toilets require a 3-4" closet bend/drain. As such they also require the same size vent -3-4"-. The placement of the toilet must be within 5' of the vent line for proper operation. At 12 feet you should have to run second vent line up the wall behind or to the side of where your toilet will be set. That second vent can either be tied into the existing vent in the attic or it can be run straight up through the roof.
I believe that local codes can vary. My house has a 2"IPS vent handling two WC's and two showers. On several commercial jobs, we have used 2" vents for toilets, and have also ran an appreciable horizontal distance because we were constrained by a PT deck and an existing mechanical shaft.

My latest DWV fixture list gives a 2" vent as being able to handle 6 fixture units horizontally and vertically for WC's, 8 and 16 FU when there are no toilets.

Sight unseen, I would believe that your proposed relocation would be feasible in my jurisdiction
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
sputnik62 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
BIGRED

Maybe in your "jurisdiction", but your own words say that 2" drains are perfectly ok for fixture units (drains for sinks & showers and faucets) as long as there are NO toilets involved. I sincerely doubt any approved commercial or industrial toilet -or WC- instalation can be found using only a 2" vent on a 4" discharge line.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

2" vent is fine for a toilet where I work----
sputnik62 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Maybe in your "jurisdiction", but your own words say that 2" drains are perfectly ok for fixture units (drains for sinks & showers and faucets) as long as there are NO toilets involved. I sincerely doubt any approved commercial or industrial toilet -or WC- instalation can be found using only a 2" vent on a 4" discharge line.
I think you would be wrong Gramps. Could it be that your experience is in Illinois, which is well known for being a little odd and strict? Lighten up, you're going give yourself a coronary

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
2" vent is fine for a toilet where I work----
Maybe not in 1942
Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
BIGRED

That's OK Wingnut, I was only throwing in My two cents worth along with everyone else. Most people wind up DIYing it the way they feel is good for themselves anyway. I don't try to start my tractor with 20 gauge battery cables either, though it's possible.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
That's OK Wingnut, I was only throwing in My two cents worth along with everyone else. Most people wind up DIYing it the way they feel is good for themselves anyway. I don't try to start my tractor with 20 gauge battery cables either, though it's possible.

I don't really understand your analogy, and it certainly doesn't seem applicable here. Jump starting with 20ga wires will just melt the wires.

One is allowed by code to vent a toilet with a 2" ips vent in my area, if that bothers or offends you, you should take it up with the National Code Committee. If properly installed, and not subject to the vagarities of extreme weather, such an application is fine and safe.

After more than 20 years of commercial and industrial supervisory experience throughout the intermountain area and west coast, I realize that codes and code interpretations can vary greatly. I would never be so close minded to think that "my code" is the only code.

You should also be aware that it is commonly thought that Illinois code committees are in the pocket of the labor unions, and code interpretations are as often as not driven by the need to inflate labor as they are by safety. Look at the residential use of electrical conduit versus the rest of the nation
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quote:
Toilets require a 3-4" closet bend/drain. As such they also require the same size vent -3-4"-. The placement of the tiolet must be within 5' of the vent line for proper operation. At 12 feet you should have to run second vent line up the wall behind or to the side of where your toilet will be set. That second vent can either be tied into the existing vent in the attic or it can be run straight up through the roof.
Not where I live. The applicable code (IRC 2003) handles venting quite differently from the UPC. There is no requirement at all for maximum distance from the main stack, and toilets don't require a separate vent. There is also no requirement that individual vents go up through the roof. All of mine are tied together to a single line that connects to the main stack. Most local builders don't do it this way (more expensive maybe?) but ours is a log house we built ourselves and we didn't want a bunch of white plastic pipes sticking out of our standing seam roof.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
Plumb or Die!

If you're moving the toilet 12', what about the rest of the bathroom? A 2" dry vent is more than enough for a WC, but if you are moving the tub and sink, we should be looking at a way to do some wet venting.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plumber666 For This Useful Post:
sputnik62 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
If you're moving the toilet 12', what about the rest of the bathroom? A 2" dry vent is more than enough for a WC, but if you are moving the tub and sink, we should be looking at a way to do some wet venting.
Toilet is the only thing that is moved (to the other side of the bathroom). The rest of the fixtures stay put.

I am not completely sure I understand what you mean by " a 2" dry vent" (sorry I am a newbie). In its current location the toilet is on a 4" waste line (I assume) right next to the wall that contains the stack that vents through the roof. What I am thinking of doing is just extending the 4" waste line by about 12 feet along the joist bringing the toilet to the other side of the room. I am hoping I will have enough room in the joist to create a 3" drop (1/4" per foot). I think I can do that. What I was concerned about was the distance to the main stack that has wet vent being 12 feet away.
If I need to put a separate vent for the toilet, I think I can build a false wall and hide the vent behind it. Since I am on the second floor going to the attic is not a big deal and I can probably tie in to existing vent in the attic. If I do need to do that, I wanted to understand how to tie the 2" vent pipe (I am assuming that the vent can be 2" inch and not 4" like the waste pipe) to the 4" waste pipe. Questions I have are:
- where do I tie in to the waste pipe? Most convenient place for me is right next to the toilet.
- should I use a Y connector with 4" main and 2" branch or do I need to use a T connector?
- when tying in to existing vents in the attic, do I have to maintain some sort of a slope on the vent pipe?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for great and timely suggestions.

One thing I got from everyone here is that it all depends on the local code. I am in Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada. Anyone has suggestions on what the best way to figure out what my local code for venting is? I am a DYI but I don't want to hack it; want to do it to code.

Advertisement