Moving Sink Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Moving sink drain

I am replacing by vanity and the sink will be positioned about 8 inches to the right. Can I use an extension to attach the new sink to the current drain line?

Advertisement

wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Moving sink drain

Sure you can provided the new sink is the same depth as the old one and you can maintain the proper slope of 1/4" per foot.

Advertisement

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #3

Moving sink drain

I have been rethinking my drain assembly and I need to clarify my plan. So, the tailpipe comes straight down into the ptrap. The ptrap is 8 inches to the right of the waste pipe. After the ptrap, can I use a 45 or 90 elbow or two to connect the extension to the waste pipe? I think by cutting the waste pipe shorter and adding a 45, i should be able to run an extension from the 45 into the ptrap.

I read about code being no more than one slip joint between the ptrap and waste pipe and I am unsure if that applies to what I am trying to do. For what it's worth, although I would be using an angled joint, I am not planning to change the horizontal run from the ptrap to include a vertical section which I think would make an s trap which I have read are illegal.

Thanks.

Last edited by wwkayaker; 10-08-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Moving sink drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I have been rethinking my drain assembly and I need to clarify my plan. So, the tailpipe comes straight down into the ptrap. The ptrap is 8 inches to the right of the waste pipe. After the ptrap, can I use a 45 or 90 elbow or two to connect the extension to the waste pipe? I think by cutting the waste pipe shorter and adding a 45, i should be able to run an extension from the 45 into the ptrap.

I read about code being no more than one slip joint between the ptrap and waste pipe and I am unsure if that applies to what I am trying to do. For what it's worth, although I would be using an angled joint, I am not planning to change the horizontal run from the ptrap to include a vertical section which I think would make an s trap which I have read are illegal.

Thanks.
Yes you can use the fittings and offset the trap arm but use pvc/abs with glued fittings- only 1 slip joint allowed in the horizontal
Alan (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Moving sink drain

Thanks, it makes sense to me now.