Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
mcg

Share |

Moving pipes into the wall

Hey everyone,

I'm remodeling my first floor bathroom. First order of business is installing a new sink and vanity. Right now, the pipes come up from the basement through the floor, up through the inside of the existing vanity. The replacement vanity isn't completely covered, so I'd like to move these pipes so that they come up from the basement behind the wall.

I'll be fine with the moving of the pipes in the basement to accommodate this, but how should I approach this? I was thinking of cutting out a piece of the drywall, drilling down from there, rerouting everything, then patching up the drywall. Is there anything more to it that I should be aware of?
mcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #2

If you live where temps drop below freezing you should avoid putting the pipes in an exterior wall. If it's an interior wall your plan sounds good.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Gotta agree. Sounds like you're on the right track. Just be sure this isnt an exterior wall and you should be good to go.

Good luck!
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
mcg

JDC/jogr,

It is an interior wall, so sounds like I should be all set. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #5

The best way to do it is to cut out a section of the drywall just inside the studs where you want to run the pipes. After you run the new pipes, screw a 1x to the side studs as a screwing flange to reinstall the drywall. You can then patch and retexture the cut out and you should be in business.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #6

Everything you want to do sounds good, but there maybe a reason the pipe was not put in the wall, like an existing floor truss that sits directly below the interior wall, be cautious, maybe drive a nail through the bottom plate where you want to drill the hole and make sure it is clear of any trusses, you can drill through the truss if you are willing to hire a carpenter to install a truss repair.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
mcg

zoso, good advice, I will definitely check before going through all of the work. the wall doesn't line up w/ any joists in the basement, so I'm hopeful this isn't the case.