Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

Share |

Moving hot tub into sunroom from outside deck (square hot tub)

I am wanting to transfer my hot tub into the sunroom. it can get through because it can go easily through the windows. i will probably pull the carpet and lay ceramic tile or something. is there something i need to know like should i elevate the area where the hot tub goes? or can i just pick it up with my bros and move it into the room? it looks like it can be picked up because all of the plumbing is above where you pick it up. the only part i will need to disconnect is the drain and supply lines and wat not. is it that complicated to maneuver? or should i hire a professional? and if i should how much do you think they will charge? this tub is the square hot tub. not those circular ones

jake_johns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #2

Will the floor support it?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

That is the biggest question "was the floor designed to handle that load" The answer is "Typically not".
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #4

The other question is: Will the room take the moisture that you're going to be releasing into it? The floor, walls, ceiling, windows..... the rest of the house if the room is not sealed off.

Been there, seen that when an entire sheetrocked ceiling came crashing down due to amount of water that had condensed above it in the insulation.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old_squid For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_squid View Post
The other question is: Will the room take the moisture that you're going to be releasing into it? The floor, walls, ceiling, windows..... the rest of the house if the room is not sealed off.

Been there, seen that when an entire sheetrocked ceiling came crashing down due to amount of water that had condensed above it in the insulation.
Not to mention mold!
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Pictures, please.

Most hot tubs don't weigh much empty and are usually self-contained. What is this 'supply line' though? Most don't have a water line plumbed directly to them. They're typically just refilled via the garden hose. Nor do they usually have a plumbed drain line, this again, is typically just a length of garden hose threaded onto the drain when needed.

But while it may not weight much empty, when full it could be several thousand pounds. Water's around 6 pounds per gallon and most tubs are upwards of 300 gallons. Is this 'sunroom' you talk about on a concrete slab, or is it a wood framed part of the rest of the house? Because either way it may not be capable of supporting the weight of 1800lbs and then several people. An old porch on a concrete slab will likely not have the strength to handle that much weight added to it. Most wood floors definitely won't.

And as others have said, tubs put out a LOT of moisture. Unless the room is engineer to tolerate having that added (along with nearby rooms) then you're in for an unholy mess when the condensation becomes a problem.

What's the rationale behind moving it indoors?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon. Mold will certainly be an issue.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote