DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   moving an existing AAV ? (

n00bie 12-07-2007 04:48 PM

moving an existing AAV ?
Hi, brand new here and have been searching for answers.

what I'm doing is nothing more than installing a new sink. However, this new sink is fancy and has real deep bowls (10" on one side, 8" on the other). If I install the sink right now, it will hit my AAV. Here's a picture of what's going on under the sink: and here's what's going on behind the sink:

The amount of pipe coming out of that cabinet wall through the escussion (sp?) plate is about an inch. This vent is 7 years old and my current plan is to do is cut the vent right at the beginning of that 45, kick it to the right about a foot, go up, and put on a new vent.

My questions are:
1) can I relocate a vent?
2) if I can, there seem to be different ratings of vents concerning the amount of air flow. How do I know what I need? Can I just buy any AAV at the home store?
3) My current vent is a Durgo BA5094, but I can't find too much info on it to answer #2.
4) If I move this vent by my plan, it will be about 3 inches lower than where it is now. Is that an issue?
5) What is my frame of reference for how high this vent should be?
6) With the codes and location requirements, is my task really a DIY task?

I'm not sure what else to ask. I hope I've made sense. Any help would be appreciated.


majakdragon 12-08-2007 10:55 AM

I am terribly confused. Are the two pipes shown behind the sink wall, the pipes coming from the AAV and the pipe from the sink drain? If so, what I am seeing is no vent on the sink. Where does the pipe from the AAV go to? Typical installation of a double basin sink is to use a "continuous waste" configuration. Both basins are tied together by the same pipe. The waste pipes are then trapped, using one trap. Then the pipe goes through the wall to the main sewer drain. Your pics show no tie-in to the drains from the sink and the AAV. Perhaps I am mistaken but thats what I see. With all the room you seem to have behind the sink, I would cut a tee into the drainline from the sinks and install the AAV back there. Then cut off the existing line going to the AAV and cap it off. Maybe I am not seeing something. When using an AAV, they are supposed to be "as high as possible". Under a sink, this isn't very high. If you relocate to behind the wall, I would make sure it is above the sink top level. I use Studor AAVs and have not seen any rating on them but they are not allowed to be inside the wall. Hope this helps.

n00bie 12-08-2007 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply. yeah, I'm confused too. What you are seeing is what you described. That's how the house was built in '00. This is one of those cookie cutter neighborhoods in FL, so I'm sure all of the houses are plumbed the same.

You asked where the pipe to the aav goes? Given it's running towards a brick wall and there's no vent through the ceiling, I assume it looks like the picture in this post.

"With all the room you seem to have behind the sink, I would cut a tee into the drainline from the sinks and install the AAV back there." I agree. Every picture I see on the internet shows this configuration. I think I'll do what you suggest.

"I would make sure it is above the sink top level". From the studor website, it says to install 4" above the trap weir and "below the flood fill line of the fixture" (page 5 here:

I like your idea of putting it on the drain itself; I need to think about that and maybe redesign the bottom cabinet to provide ample access to the AAV. I really just want to re-route the dumb thing 5" or so to the right which would be easiest for me. I've just never messed with a vent so I'm not sure about all of the rules. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Thanks for the reply!

majakdragon 12-08-2007 01:48 PM

Okay. Follow the instructions on the Studor website. Normal installation under a sink would not allow it to be above the rim either. Could you just diconnect the two traps, cut the line in the area shown in your picture,(removing enough for the tee take-off) and install a tee with the side portion looking up? The piping under the sink should slide far enough through to allow you room to install the tee and then slide back for assembly.Then install the Studor there. I lived in Ocala Florida for 11 years and never saw a set-up like you have. Then again, I never saw galvanized steel used for gas piping until I saw it at a McDonalds there.

n00bie 12-08-2007 02:18 PM

I like that idea. makes the most sense and seems "cleaner". Thanks for the insight on this majakdragon. I'm sure this plumbing in Orlando is correct or else the house wouldn't have passed inspection (let the jokes fly), but when looking at pictures on the net, I 'm thinking: "Why doesn't mine look like that??? Why didn't they do it that way? That looks normal and makes sense"

Thanks again majak.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1