Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

Moving a drain

I'm installing a new sink in a new countertop and the sinks are about three inches lower and set more toward the middle of the counter top or about 3 inches closer to the wall then what the house was plumbed for. I need input on if I am on the right track. I have ABS coming into the house all the way to the top of the pea trap and then the normal screw connectors for the rest like to the disposal and the left drain. Now since this stuff is welded I would assume that some cutting is necessary. My plan is to cut just before the first turn down and then get a fernco coupling and run all PVC the rest of the way just so I can have some ability to shorten and lengthen things slightly as I put everything back together. Does this sound correct and if not how would you do it.
Attached Images

warrior58d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #2

Moving a drain

sounds fine to me. I do wonder why some use abs and glue everything in place.
I think it is more out of convenience to the plumber, he already has a stock pile of these fittings and parts on his truck and just builds it in place.
But helps nobody if it needs to be modified later, just cut it all off and toss it in the trash.
I think I would cut it where you suggested and do exact same thing.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Master Plumber

Moving a drain

one poblem is you can not change the depth of the trap. if the pipe coming out of the wall is to high unfortunetly youll need to go back in to the wall and lower the waste arm or the sanitary tee depending on how its piped. i am sure youll find multiple ways of piping it in unfortunately they will not meet code and may create secondary problems in the future.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
DannyT (04-10-2013), TheEplumber (04-10-2013), VIPlumber (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

Moving a drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
one poblem is you can not change the depth of the trap. if the pipe coming out of the wall is to high unfortunetly youll need to go back in to the wall and lower the waste arm or the sanitary tee depending on how its piped. i am sure youll find multiple ways of piping it in unfortunately they will not meet code and may create secondary problems in the future.
Yea I was a little worried about that but what if I use one of the fernco eccentric series. I think it would just give me enough downward but still keep a level grade to the main pipe. I am talking half an inch down so far even with the ABS stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a drain-image.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Moving a drain

Also let me be a little more clear. I have plenty of room to mount to the sink. I guess my issue Is that the disposal exit to the right is just about a half inch lower. If not less then the drain part on the left. As water doesn't go uphill is there any fix for this other then a different disposal? I have cut and moved the connection as much as I can down into the p-trap.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a drain-image.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Moving a drain

I think if you go with the tubular p trap you just might make it, use a trap adapter coming out of the wall and go 1 1/2 tubular vs welded type what you have.

The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
warrior58d (04-11-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Master Plumber

Moving a drain

the more common tubular type on some of these types of traps you'll find lower necks on the j bend then others
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Moving a drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
I think if you go with the tubular p trap you just might make it, use a trap adapter coming out of the wall and go 1 1/2 tubular vs welded type what you have.
So right after the cut shoud I use a fernco coupling down to 1 1/2 then a downturn then the trap adapter then the tubular p trap then up toward the sink?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #9

Moving a drain

Kinda like this??? Also looking at it the drain for the disposal is just a smidge higher if not equal to the drain? Would that be an issue??
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a drain-image.jpg  

Last edited by warrior58d; 04-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #10

Moving a drain

It looks to me as if the disposal discharge is HIGHER than the waste arm coming out of the wall. If it is, you're golden. No need for the Fernco.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #11

Moving a drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
It looks to me as if the disposal discharge is HIGHER than the waste arm coming out of the wall. If it is, you're golden. No need for the Fernco.
It is slightly higher the the hole in the wall but I can get the connections any lower to attaché the disposal so need to lower the p trap just a touch and want to switch to PVC but I thought welding abs and PVC was a no no so was going to fernco the PVC to the abs at the wall
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #12

Moving a drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior58d View Post
It is slightly higher the the hole in the wall but I can get the connections any lower to attaché the disposal so need to lower the p trap just a touch and want to switch to PVC but I thought welding abs and PVC was a no no so was going to fernco the PVC to the abs at the wall
Get one of these in ABS.

You are using "PVC Tubing" not sch 40 PVC. PVC tubing is not glued, it's held together with slip joint couplings.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #13

Moving a drain

Quote:
Get one of these in ABS.

You are using "PVC Tubing" not sch 40 PVC. PVC tubing is not glued, it's held together with slip joint couplings.

So the trap adapter will need to be glued/welded once I cut right and then PVC from there on.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #14

Moving a drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior58d View Post
So the trap adapter will need to be glued/welded once I cut right and then PVC from there on.
Correct. Make sure to pick up a 1 1/2 inch adapter. They are sold in 1 1/2 and 1 1/4. That's the side of the whole with the nut.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #15

Moving a drain

Quote:
Correct. Make sure to pick up a 1 1/2 inch adapter. They are sold in 1 1/2 and 1 1/4. That's the side of the whole with the nut.
I picked up a 1 1/2 but it looks a LOT smaller then the drain tube in the wall