Moving Bathroom Fixtures Condo - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving Bathroom Fixtures Condo

I'm in the process of buying a condo within a specific neighborhood and fell in love with a place that seemed to be a great investment. It's affordable with the a lot of return potential but would require moderate remodeling on a small kitchen and possibly major remodeling on a small bathroom in order to make it a worthwhile investment.

The bathroom is the biggest issue. It's narrow and long, but with the bathtub to one side, and a tiled wall framing the tub on each side. The toilet is tucked behind the wall, in the back on the bathroom. The best aesthetic would involve the tub at the far end of the bathroom, with the toilet replacing it. Yet, it's on the second floor, with another owner downstairs and I doubt they (or the board) would be happy with a temporary view of my apartment. For all I know it might be impossible for a contractor to accomplish this without disrupting other units.

Is there a way to move the plumbing without destroying my neighbors ceilings? Which factors would determine whether or not this can be a possibility (apart from those nasty permits)?

Advertisement

rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum....

I don't think the condo would allow a renovation of this type WITHOUT a nasty permit, followed by a nasty inspection, of course.
But then you get the cool little nasty green sticker to prove you did it right!
It's in the best interest of everyone involved, and you will need to show the paperwork when attempting to sell it.

DM

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

your wastelines are most likely in your neighbors ceiling so moving things may not be a possible. If your floor is concrete i suspect it is part of the fire protection/seperation and penetrations may need to have special fireproofing as in collapsing collars around plumbing penetrations. these are not cheap
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yeah permit is a given the trick is not to "stir the pot" in these places. I guess I was asking to what extent this project would. I just spoke with a family friend who's a contractor who explains the steps and it seems I would never get approval for all the steps entailed.

Thanks for the help guys.
rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote