DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

moving basement toilet

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Alan 
#1 ·
In our basement there is already a toilet installed, but it is an old part of the basement where we couldn't do anything to make the area an actual finished bathroom. The toilet has been placed against the old foundation wall. When the house was added onto, they added a room right behind where the toilet sits now. I would like to move the toilet into the new part of the basement so that I could put a 1/2 bath in. The biggest problem is that from where the toilet is now, to where I want it, is a concrete block foundation, that supports the old part of the house. How can I attach the new line to the old, or can I?

#4 ·
While they are costly, there are situations where it would be worth the cost. Try searching "macerating toilets" on the web. These units grind up and pump out the waste. Many also have extra inlet/outlets for adding a shower and sink.

#5 ·
I've noticed that many commerical grade toilets are attached to the wall. Is there a way that they can be used in residential environments? The length from where the toilet would be placed and the waste pipe is only about 4 feet, its just through cinder block wall. Does anyone know if this would work?

#8 ·
Yeah a true throne would be great. Right now that's my last resort. Back to the wall hung toilet. On the other side of the wall there is the old part of the basement, so the "wall" is only 6 inches thick. If I bore a hole, couldn't I install a pipe? There is already a toilet near the waste pipe, but the pipe is buried in the concrete. I might even be able to remove the old toilet and somehow attach the new pipe to the waste pipe from the old toilet....is that possible?

#10 ·
I understand this would probably not be a job I would take on. However, would it be more cost effective to do a wall hung toilet than to tear out the basement flooring for an added line? I guess I am just getting a feel for what would be a better choice cost wise.

#11 ·
I understand this would probably not be a job I would take on. However, would it be more cost effective to do a wall hung toilet than to tear out the basement flooring for an added line? I guess I am just getting a feel for what would be a better choice cost wise.
A wall hung toilet will require tying into the line in the floor anyway, right?

Either way you are going to have to have a plumber come and find the line, and completely jackhammer out the area he needs to work in, or have a concrete worker do the work after the line is located, and then have the plumber return to connect the line..........

No matter how you attack this, it is going to be a lot of work. As far as upflush goes, I lived in a place that had one, and I hated it. It was very noisy and didn't flush worth a darn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.