DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Moved Washer, Dryer and Laundry Tub (

chaz 11-03-2007 09:52 AM

Moved Washer, Dryer and Laundry Tub
I recently moved my washer, dryer and laundry tub from the first floor to the basement. I'd now like to cap off the unused water lines (there are two sets; one for the sink and one for the washer) and drainpipe. My question is should I simply do this inside the wall on the first floor or do it in the basement. Second question is: how? The pipe is PVC, not copper.


Chris Johnson 11-03-2007 10:40 AM

If the basement is open and accessable to the supply lines I would do it there. You can purchase permanent caps at local home centers and plumbing wholesalers to complete this work, caps are generally the same material as the pipe.

chaz 11-03-2007 11:09 AM

so let me know if i've got it. i'll shut off the water supply in the basement, allowing the water to drain from the lines, cut the line in the basement (hacksaw or something like that), cap the top--little bit of pipe cement around the cap, then cut the pipes back inside of the wall on the first floor, couple drywall patches and i'm done. missing anything here?

Chris Johnson 11-03-2007 01:33 PM

yep, if it's PVC you will need to use a primer first, then the pipe glue, affix the cap let it set for a while before turning the water back on. Nothing worse then trying to fix a leak in a flooded basement.

Mike Swearingen 11-03-2007 02:35 PM

You may have PVC for cold water lines and drain lines only.
Hot water requires CPVC. Look on the pipe and at the pipe to tell the difference.
You will need CPVC caps and CPVC glue on CPVC lines.
Good Luck!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.