Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Move washing machine drain in basement

I'm taking a stab at being my own general contractor for my basement remodel project. It's not a super ambitious project - mostly drywalling over unfinished areas.

The first order of business is moving the washing machine and gas dryer about 25 feet. The washer currently drains via a pipe, shared with a utility sink, beneath the concrete slab into a sump pit that is pumped up about 6 feet to the main sewer line.

1) In terms of the drain, is it as simple as trenching the floor to the location for the washer and laying another drain line at the appropriate pitch into the current sump pit?
2) I found somewhere a basement sink-mounted pump, but I believe there is no role for this in what I'm trying to accomplish, correct?

Any adivice would be appreciated, and if I could be spared the standard shaming of my already apparent ignorance, that'd be appreciated, too.

adlapidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,280

A few things you should consider. Are you on a septic system or public sewer?
Does your sump pit have footer drains draining into it.
The reason I ask is it is common for someone to tie a storm (footer) sump into a septic
system and the added water tends to cause premature saturation of your leech field.

If no other pipe from a footer or other source of rain water is entering that sump then yes run a 3 inch pipe from your new location underground to your sump pit.

If storm water is entering your sump pit you need to disconnect it from your sewer pipe and it needs to go to your downspout or yard.

Then you will need to use what we call in the trade a bucket sump and a laundry tray at your new location and have it pumping to your sewer.

Due to new EPA storm water regulations they prefer you not to send storm water to the waste water treatment plant. The septic part has already been explained.

Some area may have a combined sewer and storm drain. But in the end you would be a better citizen to unload your storm water to the yard. Those citys are currently spending millions of dollars building waste water retention ponds so all that water will get treated before dumping to your local river or lake. Prior to this they dumped the storm overfill straight to the lake with the human waste it also carried.

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
adlapidus (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'm reasonably certain that the sump pit is only being used for the current utility sink and washing machine. I found discovered Liberty grey water pumps, that seem to fit the bill of pumping the laundry water back up to the actual sewer line. This seems like a somewhat easier option than trenching my basement.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this type of approach to relocating a washing machine in a basement that uses a sump pump?
adlapidus is offline   Reply With Quote