Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Move the toilet or leave it?

Im new to the forum an have a question for the guys that know what im getting myself into:

Im looking to move the Toilet over about 3.5 feet in my slab foundation house. The house was built in 1962 and has the original 3" cast iron drains for the toilet sinks ect... I dont want to run a pipe from the old toilet location to the new one because I dont feel the line will have enough drop between the new toilet location and the old and I feel I will run into stopped up lines in the future.

I was planning on running a new pipe from the new toilet location to the main line which is in the ground probably a few feet below the foundation. I am in question to what the the old cast iron main line condition is going to be whether it will be in good enough shape to be cut and spliced into with rubber boots and pvc or if it will be so bridle that it starts to fall apart on me.

Or maby its possible to run it back to the original location under the foundation the only prob is, is that the original location only drops about a foot down from the top of the foundation before it turns and goes to the main line.

The idea of this is to get a two sink vanity in vs. a single.

I know its alot of stuff in there but your 2 cents and experiences is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Move the toilet or leave it?-get-attachment.jpg  

rockys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I think that you do not and can not know what your drop might be until you open the slab.

Start with a trench from old toilet location to the new location.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 62

Rockys, when you look down the toilet flange, can you tell how long the piece of pipe is between the flange fitting and the 90?
As far as the condition of the pipe, its really hard to say. but its probably in o.k. shape
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #4

It drops straight down about 12" then 90s
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

At work if we come across a half-rotted CI waste line, we cut into it with a metal grinder. Chances are thats what you will be doing anyway unless you have a chain cutter.

Chop around the existing flange and chop the cement following the elbow in the direction of the branch line on it's way to the main. It will be easier to first cut this branch line back then 45 it towards the new flange location then to cut a new wye into the main. Sounds like pitch wont be a problem if your moving it 3 feet. Hopefully this toilet branch is already vented somehow. If you need to cut the branch back further then the vent line, just re-connect it in pvc.

Your new flange needs to be 12" off of the new, finished bathroom wall that the toilet tank will rest against. If your facing the wall with 1/2' rock, rough your new flange 12 1/2" off the rough framing. Likewise if your doing an inch of backer board thin set and tile, rough the flange 13" off of the rough framing of the tank wall.

Last edited by PlumbDumb; 02-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.
PlumbDumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #6

Thank you sir you have just given me the confidence to make this thing happen your the man!Thanks again
Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbDumb View Post
Your new flange needs to be 12" off of the new, finished bathroom wall that the toilet tank will rest against. If your facing the wall with 1/2' rock, rough your new flange 12 1/2" off the rough framing. Likewise if your doing an inch of backer board thin set and tile, rough the flange 13" off of the rough framing of the tank wall.
Not trying to hijack....but is that 12" to the center of the flange or 12" to the edge?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Not trying to hijack....but is that 12" to the center of the flange or 12" to the edge?
From center of flange- always measure from center

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote