Mounting Of HWH Expansion Tank - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mounting of HWH expansion tank

Where do I actually mount and support an expansion tank? My horizontal 3/4" supply pipes are up in the I beams and then the cold supply drops down to the ball valve to the cold water in.

I know the tank has to go after the valve but I don't want it installed horizontally (and unsupported) so do I remove the valve and the supply line, then T off the 3/4" then install a new valve then the tank attached somehow (how?) to the I-beam then to the new supply then into the HWH?
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting of HWH expansion tank-tank1.jpg   Mounting of HWH expansion tank-tank2.jpg   Mounting of HWH expansion tank-tank3.jpg  

Advertisement

steve0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,046

Put a tee just under the shutoff valve for the water heater. Add a pipe to connect to the expansion tank that will be upright and just above the water heater with the pipe connection underneath. Any means, even ropes attached to the pipe it is screwed on and up to the joists above, can support the expansion tank.

Suggest not obstructing the water heater anode which is a long rod that unscrew and lifts out of the top of the heater and that needs headroom to remove, inspect, and replace when worn out.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Put a tee just under the shutoff valve for the water heater. Add a pipe to connect to the expansion tank that will be upright and just above the water heater with the pipe connection underneath. Any means, even ropes attached to the pipe it is screwed on and up to the joists above, can support the expansion tank.

Suggest not obstructing the water heater anode which is a long rod that unscrew and lifts out of the top of the heater and that needs headroom to remove, inspect, and replace when worn out.
Got it. Thanks a ton.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 594

Steve0617,

From your pictures, it's hard to tell whether you have a heat trap check valve in the hot water out line from the heater. If you don't have a heat trap check valve, maybe consider installing a "S" type heat trap to prevent the hot water from losing heat via convection up the output pipe.

Not related to your expansion tank to be installed in your cold water input line but may be something else to consider in addition to leaving room for the anode rod replacement, when you route your expansion tank line.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Steve0617,

From your pictures, it's hard to tell whether you have a heat trap check valve in the hot water out line from the heater. If you don't have a heat trap check valve, maybe consider installing a "S" type heat trap to prevent the hot water from losing heat via convection up the output pipe.

Not related to your expansion tank to be installed in your cold water input line but may be something else to consider in addition to leaving room for the anode rod replacement, when you route your expansion tank line.

HRG
No heat trap at all. When the heater's going, the cold line gets warm too. Bleh. Will fix that too.

Last edited by steve0617; 01-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.