Mount An Undercounter Sink On Top? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Mount an undercounter sink on top?

We are planning to do our countertops in either porclean tile or 12" square granite pieces. Either would make putting in a undercounter sink difficult, but we prefer the way the faucets mount through the counter on sinks with different sized bowls, rather than through the apron of a drop in unit. Was wondering if it is possible to use a undercounter sink mounted from the top in some manner. These appear to have an inch or so of rim. It would probably entail epoxying mounting hardware to the sink below the countertop.

Advertisement

nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You want to mount and undermount sink as a conventional above-counter mount sink? The reason for this is because you don't want faucet holes in the sink and would instead prefer to install the faucet through holes in the counter? Just making sure I understand the question.

You probably need to take a look at some undermount sinks. Most are not going to work very well for your application. They have rims that are intended to contact the underside of the counter, as well as mounting holes in some cases, that make them aesthetically unappealing. Many won't have a flat spot to rest on the top of the counter anyhow.

You probably need to abandon the idea of using an undermount in a top mount application.

There are a number of kitchen and bath sinks out there that don't have faucet holes, if that is in fact what you're after.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I work for a company that manufactures and distributes only undermount sinks. We get this question a lot. Our undermount stainless steel kitchen sinks do not have the installation holes already drilled and technically can be used in a top-mount fashion. We do not recommend this though because the flange (or rim) is flat which leaves a somewhat sharp edge and makes it hard to properly seal.
I hope that you have solved your problem by now but if you are still researching, please feel free to check out or website at www.mrdirectint.com
KellyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyW View Post
I work for a company that manufactures and distributes only undermount sinks. We get this question a lot. Our undermount stainless steel kitchen sinks do not have the installation holes already drilled and technically can be used in a top-mount fashion. We do not recommend this though because the flange (or rim) is flat which leaves a somewhat sharp edge and makes it hard to properly seal.
I hope that you have solved your problem by now but if you are still researching, please feel free to check out or website at www.mrdirectint.com
The one I have also has no holes and has flat flange. Still looking into mounting it on granite tile counter top.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote