Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Moody hot water heater

Hello, I have an interesting hot water heater issue. Sometimes the water is scalding, and sometimes it is luke warm. It seems random. It doesn't matter if the dial is all the way up or all the way down. It's a natural gas Whirlpool BFG14F034T2NOV. I replaced the thermocouple thinking it might be at fault but to no avail. Any ideas?

trekkiejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,336

Moody hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiejt View Post
Hello, I have an interesting hot water heater issue. Sometimes the water is scalding, and sometimes it is luke warm. It seems random. It doesn't matter if the dial is all the way up or all the way down. It's a natural gas Whirlpool BFG14F034T2NOV. I replaced the thermocouple thinking it might be at fault but to no avail. Any ideas?
sounds like a defective control valve...if its still in warranty they will ship you a new one free,,,ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Moody hot water heater

cold water supply line to DHW heater should attach to a "down tube" that takes the cold water down to the bottom of the tank thereby creating a stable even heat..if tube is broken this can also cause these types of swings in watewr temperature..you would have to remove fittings to remove down tube and examine it....could still be control valve
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

Moody hot water heater

how to post a picture......
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Moody hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
..."down tube"...
a.k.a. Dip tube.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 542

Moody hot water heater

I had this problem with my last gas water heater and initially suspected the dip tube. Took it apart and the dip tube was fine.

Those old style t-couple/gas valve heaters can have an overly wide control band meaning that the burner does't kick on until the water temp gets way below the setpoint... and turns off way above the setpoint. So if you try to take a shower when the temp has drifted down to just above where the burner kicks on the water will be lukewarm. Conversely if you get in there just after the water heater has heated up and cycled off it will be very hot.

I resolved it by getting a new water heater witha digital control that keeps the temp much closer to the actual setting. Haven't had a lukewarm shower since.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #7

Moody hot water heater

Try remove and clean temperature control sensor. Could be coated in scale preventing proper control. May have to soak in baking soda and water to clean.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

Moody hot water heater

boy oh boy am I ever missing the obvious here. Did you try running hot water at another sink to see if temps are steady or also vary..if they are steady then likely the shower fixture defective.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Moody hot water heater

It happens house wide, it's not localized to any certain fixture. It's really just an annoyance but I would like to get it fixed. Is changing the control valve and/or cleaning that sensor a rather involved process? I like doing DIY projects but am not very good at them. Changing the thermocouple took me almost 4 hours. I'm still new to this DIY/home-ownership thing.
trekkiejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

Moody hot water heater

That's exactly how mine old water heater was. I checked temp at a utility sink about 10 feet from the water heater and in the kitchen and the temp would be at 104 before the burner would kick on and then not kick off until 130. Way too wide a band and lots of tepid showers first thing in the morning.

Mine was like that since it was new so not a scale issue on the temp probe. Depending on how old your water heater is it may not make sense to replace the gas valve. Not more much $ to just get a new water heater of that same style. Or spend a bit more and get one with a digital control. But some of these often require an external power source so if having hot water during power outages is a priority you may want to stick with the old school type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiejt View Post
It happens house wide, it's not localized to any certain fixture. It's really just an annoyance but I would like to get it fixed. Is changing the control valve and/or cleaning that sensor a rather involved process? I like doing DIY projects but am not very good at them. Changing the thermocouple took me almost 4 hours. I'm still new to this DIY/home-ownership thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,032

Moody hot water heater

If no one has been using hot water for several hours you might try manually turning up the water heater temperature dial a little and then back down to where it was. This often gets the heater going if it has too wide a band between kick on and kick off. Usually if several showers are taken in reasonably quick succession the heater kicks on in more timely fashion so as not to produce such a wide range of water temperatures.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

Moody hot water heater

the only way the water is super hot then luke warm....is control valve is not operating right...ben sr

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 10-15-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #13

Moody hot water heater

excuse me Ben didn't you mean NOT operating properly..I think you left out the word not...jes' sayin'
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #14

Moody hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
excuse me Ben didn't you mean NOT operating properly..I think you left out the word not...jes' sayin'
thanks pappy i knew someone had my backben sr
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #15

Moody hot water heater

Don't worry, Ben, we knew what you meant....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
thanks pappy i knew someone had my backben sr