Mold Under Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mold under toilet

I am remodeling my bathroom. I just pulled up the toilet and linoleum and noticed a significant amount of mold underneath (see attached picture). It surrounds the toilet by about 2-2.5' in diameter; it is isolated only to the toilet area. I have sprayed it several times with a 50/50 bleach/water mixture. I plan to scrap it off with a putty knife, scrub the floor with a brush, prime it and then paint it. Eventually, I will put a either linoleum back over it or tile.

Is this a reasonable approach or should I consider tearing out the subfloor? I have two small kids in my house and worry about the health effects. I've tried to research mold online and have read varying opinions from not to be alarmed to hire a professional.

Looking for any advice (or maybe just some peace of mind).
Attached Thumbnails
Mold under toilet-img_0890.jpg  

Advertisement

burrito78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Picky Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Mold under toilet

There are only 1,000,000,000,000 types of molds, fungi, mildews, etc. (Maybe not that many, but alot) Get one of those mold test kits or have it professionally tested to find out whether or not it's even the "bad" stuff. Not sure if you need to rip out the subflooring but I'd at least replace the linoleum. Check under the house at that toilet to see if you can tell if it's leaked for a long time.

Advertisement

Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber26 For This Useful Post:
burrito78 (12-25-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Mold under toilet

I agree that there are a zillion types of mold, but none are good. I'd forget the kit and plan on replacing that section of the sub-floor. It's not a lot of work and worth the piece of mind. But before you do that, be sure you've identified the source of the water leak and make sure you've got it addressed. Nothing worse than replacing the floor only to find out you didn't deal with the leak.
BigMan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigMan926 For This Useful Post:
burrito78 (12-27-2010)