Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Moen Kitchen Faucet Leak and Limp Handle

We recently replaced the cartridge in a five year old Moen single-handed kitchen faucet, to fix a drip. Now not only is the drip not fixed, but the handle falls down by its own weight like a quickly-wilting flower stem. I removed the cartridge, wiped off virtually all of the silicone lubricant on the cartridge piston and inside of the piston tube and re-installed it. It is a little bit better, but still limp. And the drip is as bad as before.

Any suggestions?

DenfromDanbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #2

There are mini washers/friction rings supplied by Moen that are placed over the stem shaft before installing the handle. This gives more friction and keeps the lever from dropping. Very common problem. I don't believe you can just buy these washers off the shelf at a local hardware. In the past Moen has shipped them to me. I do know they come in the box with the plastic lavatory or shower handles. You can purchase them for around $13 from your local hardware or plumbing store.

Jefftheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

I had problems with my Moen kitchen faucet a few weeks ago. I called them and explained the main problem I was having with it. She was going to send the part to me, free of charge. Then I explained another problem I had been having with it and she sent me a new faucet. They seem like a good company to deal with.

If you call them, they'll ask you a few questions and, at the very least, send you the part you need.

Their contact info is at www.moen.com
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #4

Jeff and GMA2rjc,

Thanks for your ideas. I've contacted Moen, and learned, after spending $30 on a new cartridge, that they give all of it for free. In fact, the Moen plumbing advisor sent me a new cartridge, assuming the one I bought was defective, but that didn't work either. So now the focus is on the valve body (if that's the right word), the thing into which the cartidge slips...I'm soaking it in vinegar to dissolve (hopefully) any deposits which may be preventing a seal (that's the dripping part). To the untrained eye it all looks good inside, except for a little blue-green corrosion on the copper new the top of the valve body. By the way, it drips only when the hot water supply is turned on...if hot water supply is turned off and cold water supply is turned on, there is no drip (but there is limpness, a separate problem.) I will ask her about the slip rings that Jeff mentions, too.
DenfromDanbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

Moen has an awesome customer service along with lifetime warranty on all parts. Den, the washer/friction rings will definitely stop the lever from falling. Also, check inside the valve body of the faucet with a flashlight. Make sure there is nothing inside. There should be two holes/ports approx 3/8 dia. One for hot and one for cold. They are the inlets. Sometimes rubber from the old cartridge can get wedged in there. Then take a 3/4" wire fitting brush, the kind used to clean 3/4 copper fittings and run it through the valve body while turning it. I use siliconized grease on my finger and apply it inside of the valve body, just a small amount. Slowly insert the new Moen Cart, while slightly twisting it side to side until it bottoms out. The tip of the new moen cart will have a small notch on the brass portion. That is the pointer if you will. Notch to the left Hot, notch to the right cold. Hope this helps.
Jefftheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenfromDanbury View Post
We recently replaced the cartridge in a five year old Moen single-handed kitchen faucet, to fix a drip. Now not only is the drip not fixed, but the handle falls down by its own weight like a quickly-wilting flower stem. I removed the cartridge, wiped off virtually all of the silicone lubricant on the cartridge piston and inside of the piston tube and re-installed it. It is a little bit better, but still limp. And the drip is as bad as before.

Any suggestions?
I have exactly the same problem. I contacted Moen and explained the problem. They are sending me some parts to fix the problem. Why all this high tech stuff for opening and closing a tap? Good old days faucets lasted for years except for an occasional replacement of a simple washer.
bweera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

I just replaced a MOEN cartridge and also ran into the problem of the limp handle. I had tried a second cartridge as well as cleaning out the piston but to no avail.

I then replaced the the adapter and connector(got it free from Lowes). The adapter is the part that the handle is screwed into. The adapter attaches to a black plastic connector which allows it to pivot forward and backwards (move the handle up and down). There's a fairly large screw that goes through this connector and into the top of the cartridge. This screw has to be really tight for the connector to create enough friction around the adapter hinge to keep the lever up, otherwise the weight of the handle causes the adapter to pivot and the handle droops down. Don't be afraid to tighten it more even if it feels like it's already tight. The connector is spring like and has a lot of resistance but it will flex. Once the lever stays up on its own, you're done tightening.

I only figured out how this stuff works after attaching the connector on the adapter from a new replacement package. The pieces were separate and so I could see how they fit together clearly. So probably the old adapter and connector I had were fine, I just didn't tighten it enough.

Now the wife is happy and I don't have to replace the faucet. Time for a drink.

i_hate_plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote