Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

Moen Bath Faucet handle - Can't Remove!

Hi

I need to remove a Moen Adler style faucet handle. I believe that the cartridge is bad/blocked since I can't get any water go come out of the spigot. As a side note, if anyone has any thoughts about that, I would be happy to listen.

However, my main problem right now is that I cannot remove the screw that is in the underside of the handle. It just spins and won't come out. It is a #1 phillips. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Aside from cutting off the handle, is there any way to deal with this?

Here is the style that I am working with: http://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Adle...694/202060910#

Thanks in advance for any advice!

sobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

I've never seen one with a Phillips.
There all Allen screws.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

If there 0 water coming out of the hot and the cold it's more likely the pipes are frozen.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

If it was working fine, then stopped. Agree with Joe, could be a possible frozen pipe(s) feeding that area. Been record lows across US lately. Just a thought.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

Only seen allen screws as well. Taking a screwdriver to it has probably ruined it so you'll need to drill it out and buy a new handle
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Agree about the record low temps. It actually did have a trickle of water running out of it (hot). Ran it for over 20 minutes and no change. Then, nothing! Of course, I may have done something by jerking the handle around in the meantime.

I did not install this - but there is definitely a phillips screw in the handle...it seems that someone else tried to improvise and I am paying the price.

So, if it is frozen pipes, then I guess that I should try and let it run some more...

But, if it is actually an issue with the cartridge and I need to take the handle off, then does what type of drill should I use to drill out the screw? Or, should I just try and cut the handle?

This is a new one for me.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #7

Cutting the handle would also cut off the stem for the cartridge.
I'd try one of these before I'd try drilling out the screw.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-pc-...2&blockType=G2

Reason being is, the screw is right hand thread. A drill bit is going to be turning in the direction that would be tightening the screw.
This type extractor run in reverse so as the tip of the bit goes in it's trying to remove the screw. The tip is a left hand twist.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Cutting the handle would also cut off the stem for the cartridge.
I'd try one of these before I'd try drilling out the screw.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-pc-...2&blockType=G2

Reason being is, the screw is right hand thread. A drill bit is going to be turning in the direction that would be tightening the screw.
This type extractor run in reverse so as the tip of the bit goes in it's trying to remove the screw. The tip is a left hand twist.
Thanks for the tip! Haven't had a chance to go back and look at it, though I'm sure that it's going to be interesting...
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

Going to take two people, one to hold the handle still.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #10

Uses a small allen screw not a slotted screw. Try a long allen key smaller sizes.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Uses a small allen screw not a slotted screw. Try a long allen key smaller sizes.
Even though it has a Phillips head? Is this some type of allen screw that I am unfamiliar with? It never had any resistance, yet it turned (both directions) when I used the #1 phillips..
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Unless someone replaced the original allen screw that is what moen uses on all handles.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #13

A 7/64 hex wrench in most cases can be used to remove the handle set screw. A Phillips screwdriver is then used to remove the handle adapter.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
A 7/64 hex wrench in most cases can be used to remove the handle set screw. A Phillips screwdriver is then used to remove the handle adapter.
Thanks again for all of the advice! When I checked it two days ago, I left the access cover off, and when I returned last night the water was flowing. It seems that it was frozen...so best case scenario (I think). Fortunately it was PEX, so I think that helped a bit. I guess that this is just another case of me trying to complicate a simple problem.

There is still some weirdness, though: When the handle is turned to about 3 o'clock, the water is hot; when it is at 9 o'clock, the water is cold. I'm guessing that this is because the cartridge is installed upside down???

Also, I still have the issue of the handle not being removable. I thought about purchasing one of the drill out sets mentioned above, but if the screw is still spinning, then I'm not sure that it would do any good. Any other thoughts on how to remove the handle? Or should I just cut it when the time comes?

Tags
bath, faucet, moen, removal