DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Modifying a Sump Pump

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
I just moved into a new house that was built in 1950. It has a very odd sump pump configuration. When the pump turns on, the water comes up the pipe, runs through a check valve, then runs to a T where most of the water runs right back down to the sump pump, and a little bit is spit back outside. I have attached a picture. Does anyone know if I can cut off the pipe that runs back down and put in an elbow instead to push the water out? My pump is running like crazy!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For one, I would take that whole mess apart and do it correctly. There is nothing to brace the piping from vibrating. As for the other pipe, it may have been intended as a way to hook a water powered pump, so that if you lose power, it will still pull the effluent from the well.

#5 ·
Start by blocking the end of the pipe going back down so most of the water goes up from the elbow and outside. Also check to be sure that the water discharged outside does not end up back near the foundation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.