Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moaning in pipes

HELP!! When we turn on any faucet in the house there is a moaning sound when the faucet is running @low stream or when turned off.... sometimes just a short moan other times lasts several seconds ~ hot or cold!
This started several weeks ago. We replaced the pressure reducing valve; pressure holds steady @50psi. This helped for a couple of weeks and it's started again. The noise seems to be in the area of the PRV. About 5 years ago, we had an expansion tank installed in the same area ~ (this checks good; holding air @40psi). Between these PRV and the exp. tank, we have a whole house filter that was installed several months ago.
We turned off the main inlet and opened all the faucets ~ drained completely ~ to let out any air build-up. Didn't help.
THANX for any help or suggestions!

carrollpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

moaning in pipes

I lived in a houe with the same problem and am eager to hear from the plumbers what th cause is

bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

moaning in pipes

Carrol,
One of your faucets or one of the other devices probably has a bad washer. When I was on the fire dep't, we would occasionally get a call like yours. Usually was the faucet on the laundry tub in the basement. Sounds crazy doesn't it? I just had a similar situation with my kitchen faucet. When you turned it on, you would here a pulsing noise like a mini- waterhammer sound. After three weeks, it turned out to be a pinhole leak in the hose that went to the sprayer. Try turning the shutoffs on your faucets all off then see if the sound goes away. If it does, turn them back on one at a time to isolate the culprit. Let us know what you find.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote