Mixing Valve Replacement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mixing Valve Replacement

I have just recently built a new home, contracting it myself I saved alot of money. However, the pressure in one bathroom Tub/Shower is terrible and has been from the installation. The plumber did a pressure test after installation and it tested fine. Now the pressure is very low from this one faucet. I turned off the water pupply,took the faucet apart and all of the internal parts and turned the water back on to check the pressure, and it blew water all the way to the back of the tub so pressure is not a problem. My suspision is the mixing valve, but how dow I get it out and replace a new one without making the hole bigger or going in from the backside( which is a bedroom wall). The current mixing valve has pvc fitting connecting to brass pipes. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Advertisement

TeamRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mixing Valve Replacement

Hi teamroper, welcome to the forum.

Do you have good flow/pressure from the diverter spout when filling the tub?

You should be able to replace the "guts" of the mixing valve without replacing the valve body itself. Turn off the water supply, remove the handle, remove the escutcheon (if necessary on your valve), and pull the valve itself. Take it with you to make sure you get the right replacement.

One thing to check would be the showerhead itself, assuming the pressure to the diverter is good. Sometimes crud inside the pipes can get into the showerhead and bind up in there. I'd pull the head from the bent pipe that comes out of the wall and turn the shower on to see how much flow/pressure you've got.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Mixing Valve Replacement

Yeah, I do have pressure, I have not tried to replace the guts of the mixing valve but I will try that next. Thanks alot
TeamRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mixing Valve Replacement

if you have good pressure without the shower head attached, then that is most likely your problem, yes? why mess with the mixer?
back wash the shower head if it's new to clear out the crud that probably was deposited during the new install. if older, use CLR or similar to clean out calcium/lime buildup.

DM